La Paz modifications

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Yeahyeah

La Paz modifications

Postby Yeahyeah » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:08 pm

hello everyone,

Short version; can I build a La Paz (stretched to 24') with the design elements/features similar to that of this Grady-White 23' center console boat in this picture?

Long explanation; I intend to begin building a boat (once my current project is done) within the next year or two. I'm looking to build one that can fish both lakes and the Southern California ocean waters. I'd like one that could take out 3-4 buddies fishing, or take out my family for a day on the water, whether it be fishing or tubing. If I'm going to have company other than adult males on the lake/ocean for a full day, I will need an enclosed head. I like the design of the center consoles and many commercial CC's in the 23-24' range have incorporated a head into the center console along with a T-top. I have the study plans for the La Paz and I've read the Boat Building w Plywood book. The plans say stretching to 24' is fine. My concern is the added weight as the plans just have a simple center console. Most, but not all of the added weight would be right near the center of buoyancy. I figure it will be maybe an extra 200-300 lbs total. A few people have posted here on Glen-L that they've had excellent performance with a 150 hp outboard. I figure that maybe with the extra weight I would have to use maybe a 200 hp outboard. I'm sure there are other issues as well, so I'd like to hear the opinions of those of you who understand the nature of boat design and performance.
Attachments
Grady-White 236.jpg

kens

Re: La Paz modifications

Postby kens » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Yeah, you can do that.
It is already a center console as drawn on the plans, all you are doing is adjusting the center console, not the basic hull lines.
you can do that.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Yeahyeah

Postby Yeahyeah » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm

thanks for the input, Ken. Anyone else see a potential problem? I'm concerned with spending hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars on a bathtub with a motor.

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 pm

What you are suggesting is a minor modificaton and performace would not be affected substantially by it. As an example if ypu build the 100 gallon fuel tank as suggested the boat will change in weight about 600 lbs from full to empty. The designer has suggested an engine hp range that is sufficient for the designs expected use. As far as the motor is concerend the extra power is always nice but the question is if the added fuel consumption rate is worth the slight increase in performance. Also is the the initial price difference worth it tp you . Thats a question for your checking account
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Yeahyeah

Postby Yeahyeah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 pm

thanks for the insight.

kens

Postby kens » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 am

Building that design the way your posted picture looks, is no change to the plans, it is only finishing it out that way.
sweat equity is all it is.
Since it is already a center console, all you would add is the T-top.
About all I can say is, follow the plans, and dont add 'beef' nor 'strength' into it.
It is already strong enough, and all the extra beef you build in is only added weight.
Keep it light, and it will perform as drawn on the plans.
It also will use less power than the store bought fiberglass counterpart.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Design Modifications”