TrueGrit/CC Walkaround

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

watkibe

Re: TrueGrit/CC Walkaround

Postby watkibe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:50 pm

http://www.microcruising.com/shed.htm
there ya go, Stimson Marine.
I left CA 35 years ago and I never look back. Leave the people's republik of CA if you can. I live on acreage at the far end of the island, with eagles and deer, not neighbors or zoning inspectors. You didn't serve your country so that you can serve that state. I can shoot my guns from the front porch naked, and it doesn't bother anybody. That's freedom.
Sorry, rant over.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:47 am

Sweet. Thanks for the link to the article and supplier of the plans. Much appreciated!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:10 am

Joe, it looks like you are being very thorough in your approach to this boat. I sympathize with you space issue. I think many builders, including myself, have to deal with this. I might offer some suggestions. First off, it will be a little while before you need the full space and you can certainly get started on the frames in the meantime.

The eventual space needed will need to be solved but I am sure you can come up with some solution. One possibility is if your boat will fit in your garage but is too big to work on in there, then consider a movable platform. Another option, I've seen is to build it next to the house in the back yard and cover it when not building, however damp and heat will be a factor here. A friend of mine built a 28 foot Blue Jacket and rented space from a business. I believe he got a discount by negotiating with the business owner ( I believe they were friends as well). You could rent the space until the hull is flipped, then move it back to your yard on a trailer and finish it up.

My boat just fits in my garage with approximately 3 inches to spare (1 up front and 2 in the back). I have to open the garage to work on her and space is tight on one side and crowded on the other, but so far I have managed. Eventually when I get more height, I am going to have to move it out but I can build the cabin and still clear the garage door opening.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks Carl! I'm definitely trying to be as thorough as possible before I begin. I'm hoping that I can think through most of the steps so when I'm actually doing them it's just following my plans. It also gives me something to do while I'm wrapping up home projects before beginning cutting.

I appreciate all suggestions from you guys as I have a lot to learn from all of your experiences. Thanks!

I am 100% starting cutting before I have the whole build space constructed. I am currently finalizing my design on my layout table and once i'm done with a few house projects I will build it and pretty much immediately start cutting out my frame templates out of less expensive plywood. Once my templates are cut out I plan to begin on assembling the frames with good lumber in my garage.

I don't have the space in my garage to do the build, even with a moveable form/frame. The boat is 8'6" beam and 27' long and I have a roughly 20'x20' garage. I do have ample yard space and had already planned on putting a garage/shop there before I started dreaming of building my own boat. As I said earlier, I plan on building a steel building, size about 20'x40'x14' with the door being as tall as 13.5'. We already were planning on storing our truck camper in there, and if we ever moved up to a motorhome we wanted to be able to store in there as well so a tall entry was necessary before the boat.

My health issues are such that driving to and from a rented space for the build would not work. I need to have the build space at my house so I don't have to travel to and from. That way I can work in short increments and take lots of breaks during stretches where my issues are rearing their ugly heads. Another issue with renting, is Southern California is super expensive and I could easily spend more on renting the storage space during the building of the hull (2-3 years estimate, more if I had to travel to and from) than I would on the entire boat, electronics and engine included. If it weren't for my family and friends being close, travel being so difficult for me, and the great weather for the crazy amount of recreational opportunities we have I would move out of California. Would certainly free up money for the boat :)

It's possible that I may start building the form and starting on the hull before I construct the shop. Being in Southern California, heat, wind, and dust are my main enemies. It doesn't rain all that much and snow is virtually unheard of where I live so I could always just cover with a tarp when i'm not working. We also don't usually get hard freezes. So I could build everything outside as long as I have a way to give some protection from the elements when I paint and epoxy, like a temporary tent structure. While i'm prepared to do this I would prefer to have the shop built first.

I'm impressed with how you have managed the space for your build and am following along.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Return to “Design Modifications”