Up Scaleing

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Steven r

Up Scaleing

Postby Steven r » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:02 am

Hi Bill,
Come on Bill spill the beans, If you have PDF files can this not be done may be at printing stage or at the time of cutting on CNC machine?
Could you up scale 30% doing this?
Thanks Steve.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Up Scaleing

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 am

Steve

The Bartender has a lofting table. I simply multiplied everything by 1.06. Spacing was 16" and that became 17". Everything was increased except the side decks. This made the cabin larger.

When I was working, I had access to a large format scanner/printer. I could scale drawings up or down. I took the drawings in scanned them and printed the 50%. Much easier to work with in the shop.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:46 am

Bill
Thanks for your reply, I have been looking into lofting interesting! :lol: lots going around in my mind! :lol:
Steve

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:44 am

Steve

Lofting is not that big of a deal. I'm not sure how it is set up in metric. But, in Imperial it is a format of 20-5. that is 20 5/16". The table give you X&Y dimensions from the centerline and a baseline. There are several stations horizontally (I think they're called Butt lines), the keel, chine, and shear. You get your layout board and start plotting out the points.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:13 am

Lofting is a way to describe the shape of a hull in three dimensions. It is not much more than drawing the boat full size in three different views (Plan or half-breadth, profile, and body plan) on the loft floor using a table of dimensions created by the designer. The key reference lines are the centerline and baseline, all other lines (buttocks, waterlines, etc.) are set off from those using the table of offsets. Those other lines divide the hull into horizontal, vertical and athwartship planes, useful for making templates and molds. There is a great chapter in Boatbuilding With Plywood that will get you going on any Glen L design. Another great book is Robert Steward's Boatbuilding Manual which has a deeper discussion on lofting an making molds or templates. It was required reading when I worked in the Mold Loft as a shipfitter apprentice.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:55 am

Hi all,
If you take a Monte Carlo and stratch it to 33' what would it look like? Is it high enough? The beam looks good. Yes it would need more frames I haven an idea for that. Not seeing one is making things harder to imagine! :lol:

Return to “Design Modifications”