thinner side panels on tnt

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Matsully

thinner side panels on tnt

Post by Matsully » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:27 pm

hi all again, ive a question for any of you expierenced builders that's kind enough to respond. Ihave run all wood SKs eons ago ,but this TNT is my first ground up build. In the quest for the lightest boat without sacrificing too much durability, iam using woods that I know will work great for the frames.What I am wondering is,can I use 3/16 for the sides and still use 1/4 on the bottom without having a fairing nightmare at the transition joint? Thank you anyone that knows and responds.

Yours for any tuning queries,matsully.

billy c

Re: thinner side panels on tnt

Post by billy c » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 am

Matt
I’d Stick with the 1/4” you are not saving much weight as the sides are only 12” max wide ...and you can construct the whole boat out of a few sheets of the same thickness.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 am

I would suggest utilizing lighter species materials rather than deviating from the plans. Here is a good chart, Okoume is the lightest.
Matt B
http://www.boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm

Matsully

Post by Matsully » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:24 am

Thank you both for confirming my decision after a bit of thought. Sometimes I can get a bit carried away when Iget a notion to modify . 2 quickies if you will ? For the sake of calming my seemingly non stop brain waves, would 1/4 to 3/16 cause probs at that juncture and what shade is okume ? I would like to do a light deck . Thanks again all

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 am

I've never even seen 3/16 marine grade for sale. I would stick with what's recommend in the plans. Okoume is pretty light colored. It ambers a bit with clear epoxy on it.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Matsully

Post by Matsully » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi all again , Thanks for the advice . I am following it ' 2 more queries for you esteemed building vets if you would ? I d like to epoxy many of the parts I.E. frames ,transom ect before installation .not anything that needs to be formed or faired , as I am using laser levels . Iam not worried about getting it all true . Also for the jet/motor setup I am using it would be a cleaner /better install to laminate 2 1/2 keel lumbers together rather than the 3/4 & 1/4 way per plans . Any thoughts ,foreseeable problems ? I really do appreciate it .

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Here's what unstained Okoume plywood looks like after applying Sytem Three S-1 penetrating epoxy, 3 oz. "surfacing veil" fiberglass cloth wetted with System Three Silvertip epoxy plus one more coat, and 6 coats of Pettit Captain's Spar Varnish.

DSR

Post by DSR » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi Matt,

Just cruisin' through and I saw your question regarding the keel lamination....

I studied that part of the design pretty in depth while I was working out the details for mine, and I came up with the original schedule of 3/4" lumber backed with 1/4" (6mm) ply to be the best way to go. You get the longitudinal strength of the lumber and the ply lamination will stabilize the assembly and keep the lumber from splitting from wave pounding and other stresses, without the ply getting in the way when you fair the keel to the frames. The lumber/ply combination will be stronger than 2 1/2" lumber pieces and if you used 1/2" lumber with 1/2" ply, you'd definitely get into the ply when fairing in the forward area behind the stem.

I hope this helps :D

Thanks,
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Return to “Design Modifications”