Huck Finn Deck Position

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

wingnut2840

Huck Finn Deck Position

Post by wingnut2840 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:30 am

Im planning on building one with deck dimensions 10' x 6' instead of 12' x 8'. I understand that buy moving the pontoon closer and mounting the deck flush with the outer edges in width it makes it legal to tow on most roads and comply with DMV regulations. My question is: Are any advantages to mounting the deck on the centerline of the pontoon instead of flush with the outer edges? Would it make the boat more or less stable?
If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy.... ;)

NAMEngJS

Re: Huck Finn Deck Position

Post by NAMEngJS » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 am

Trying to exactly understand your question... are you just reducing the deck size by 2' in width and length and attaching the deck at the center(ish) of the pontoons. Or are you insetting the pontoons a foot on each side to make the width 6'. Or because the pontoons are 18 inches insetting them 3" so that the center of the pontoon is now on the edge of the deck? Regardless, modifying the beam of the water born area in not recommended and decreasing the beam WILL have an effect on stability. This does not mean it will not be stable but it will be less stable transversely.

pictures of what you are trying to accomplish would help greatly

From a displaced Mountaineer living in the flat lands of Louisiana... happy boating!
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

wingnut2840

Re: Huck Finn Deck Position

Post by wingnut2840 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm decreasing the beam by 2' and mounting them so the edges will be in the center of the pontoon. This configuration would resault in an overall width of 7'6". I understand by decreasing the beam I could possibly lose stability, which is why i'm considering mounting the deck on the centerline of the pontoon. I'm just curious if my thought process is correct.
If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy.... ;)

Return to “Design Modifications”