Carolina Angler + Dory Cabin, Length Question

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Texas Chris

Carolina Angler + Dory Cabin, Length Question

Post by Texas Chris » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:04 am

I've semi-decided on building the Carolina Angler. How much length can I safely add?

Info:
I haven't seen a build of the Carolina Angler yet, so I'm pretty much flying blind. I'll be building in a slightly modified Dory Cabin (pictured at bottom) with access to a two-sleeper below the foredeck. Boat will be used for offshore fishing in the Gulf of Mexico out of Sabine Pass, TX. Overnight trips at most, but will usually be day trips out less than 12 miles. Single diesel inboard +/-210 SHP and rear mounted trolling motor.

I would like to lengthen the boat by about 8 more feet to accommodate about 4'-0 more cabin space and 4'-0 more deck aft for a bait table and more fishing space.

I'm also open to a similar design if the 'Angler can't safely be stretched to 38' or so.

Thanks!

Bill Edmundson

Re: Carolina Angler + Dory Cabin, Length Question

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:16 am

Chris

Welcome! Many of us have done cold mold boats. There will be help here. The boat can probably be stretched 10% by increasing the frame spacing aft of the stem.

I look forward to your build. Please, put your location in your profile. It will help others help you with sourcing materials...

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Why not start with something like the Sea Angler that already has design provisions for berths and is closer to the desired length?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Texas Chris

Post by Texas Chris » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:11 am

Bill,

10% I can do, but it'll cost me the sleeper space. Which is fine... Just not ideal.

Hoodman,

I looked at Sea Angler and passed for two reasons: One, the design is for twin engine, and that's more than I'm comfortable with, and two, I prefer the more aggressive bow flare of the Carolina. That foredeck is prime fishing real estate and I want it as dry as possible. The Sea Angler just didn't seem to offer what the Carolina does.

Thanks for the input!

Return to “Design Modifications”