Bolero wake boat

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

miltieb

Bolero wake boat

Post by miltieb »

I'm thinking about building a bolero and modify it into a wake boat. I did some drawings and was wondering what people's thoughts are.ImageImage

JimmY

Re: Bolero wake boat

Post by JimmY »

Just my opinion, but wake boats should be banned or regulated. When they come out, I have to go in to shore because the chop is too much to pound through. Not trying to start a controversy here, but just know there are other people trying to enjoy the water too.

It would be an interesting problem to integrate water tanks and the pumping system.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The Bolero hull would probably do the trick and would most likely be big enough to handle the water tanks. The bow modifications in your drawing would be a big challenge in plywood though and I don't really see the reason behind them other than to copycat the production wakeboats out there. It's easy to modify the inside of the boat. Another challenge altogether changing the hull like that. It would basically be a completely new design.

How much is a wakeboat these days? 70k? You could probably build a nice Bolero for 30 ish?....???
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

JimmY wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:31 pm
Just my opinion, but wake boats should be banned or regulated. When they come out, I have to go in to shore because the chop is too much to pound through. Not trying to start a controversy here, but just know there are other people trying to enjoy the water too.

It would be an interesting problem to integrate water tanks and the pumping system.
Agreed,
Gosh, why would you take a perfectly good boat and upset the weight/balance to the point it throws a ugly wake??? it makes no sense.
If you wanna play with your boogie board, then go to the ocean where the waves are.
The rest of us want to use the calm water.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

miltieb

Post by miltieb »

hoodman wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:12 pm
The Bolero hull would probably do the trick and would most likely be big enough to handle the water tanks. The bow modifications in your drawing would be a big challenge in plywood though and I don't really see the reason behind them other than to copycat the production wakeboats out there. It's easy to modify the inside of the boat. Another challenge altogether changing the hull like that. It would basically be a completely new design.

How much is a wakeboat these days? 70k? You could probably build a nice Bolero for 30 ish?....???
the bow modifications are for wider seating in the front and they keep the original hull design its pretty much just pieces stuck to the sides so the seating area can be wider.
and a good wakeboat these days is well over100k

miltieb

Post by miltieb »

I did a 3d model of the hull and the actual hull portion is pretty much identical to the hull of the bolero
Last edited by miltieb on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

You ask for peoples thoughts on a wakeboard boat using the Bolero as a starting off point then report them for their thoughts on wakeboats? Yeah, a lot of us aren't fans of them around us. Wakeboats are indeed fun but they also make the water unpleasant for the classic designs that share the water with them and a lot of the operators are not courteous or even aware of their surroundings and often put small boats in compromising and dangerous positions they cant avoid.
I agree with Hoodman, with such changes youre basically making your own design at that point. I'd like to see it done, it would be a neat challenge and a more interesting, more unique and less expensive boat than factory built. Give it a go. Just be one of the courteous wakeboard boat captains out there when youre done.

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Hi

I really like your idea.

I have never looked at wake boats until I found Pavati

I am also looking at building a replica of the Pavati and was thinking about buying the Bolero plans and making the changes to have the appearance of a Pavati but with my own twist.

I will be doing aluminium for the build.

Design phase at this point

Return to “Design Modifications”