Barrelback Seating

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

djwalsh1960

Barrelback Seating

Post by djwalsh1960 »

I am closing in on the completion of a strip canoe and planning the next project.

I love the lines of the barrelback (20'), but I am concerned about the tight seating. I was wondering. Can the structure between the first and second row seating be omitted. I was thinking of a Captain's stand-alone seat with a bench that begins along the side and curves in to where the second row would be.

Would the integrity of the boat be compromised?

Roberta

Re: Barrelback Seating

Post by Roberta »

That is perfectly doable. Extending the carlings and maybe adding some blocking and sub- deck beams. It's not a traditional look, but can be very nice. Look at other designs and builder's pictures for ideas. I have seen this done on other boats. My Torpedo has that as an option. Go for it.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

billy c

Post by billy c »

Yes no problem. See the Key Largo plans
https://www.boatdesigns.com/mobile/Key- ... ducts/745/
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Thanks Roberta and Billy.

I bet I can reinforce the area to support that missing divider. I reviewed the Key Largo too, but I did not want additional seating so far aft. And, the sweeping deck as it flows aft to the transom, uninterrupted is what I want to preserve.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I would do the 20' version and add it all to the cockpit!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Thank you, Bill.

The 20' option it is.

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I'm about a month ahead of you on my Barrelback build and have been considering the same thing. It's not traditional but I think it would be more practical for my needs.

Bill, when you say add all of the stretch to the cockpit what do you mean? In my head this would mean adding 6" between the three cockpit frames as opposed to 2" between each of the frames. I'm probably missing something???

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Any length added to the boat has to be done by spacing all the frames farther apart. Only adding length between a couple of frames in the cockpit area will severely upset the lines of the boat.
Matt B

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

I think what Bill is saying is to make sure, when going to the 20' option is to keep the engine, fuel tank etc. placements in the same locations as the 19' version, using the additional length to create more space in the cockpit.

I have been torn on the decision. Since figuring out the seating is a long way off, I can wrangle with it for a while. In her answer to this question, Roberta mentioned that the change I am considering would veer from a traditional look, but probably still look good. My thoughts for more space in the second row were centered around my 6'2" and 6'6" close friends who would demand to be part of the inaugural cruise.

I would like to preserve the barrelback look and lines, but have it be more comfortable for passengers. I will probably flip flop on this decision 10 times between now and the go or no-go decision needs to be made.

Thanks for your input.

Return to “Design Modifications”