Starting my first build with a jet TNT

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

DSR

Re: Starting my first build with a jet TNT

Postby DSR » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi Doug,
If I sounded a little too harsh in my last response I apologize. I've gained a lot of experience going down that road a few times and I guess I feel pretty strongly about trying to keep others from making the same mistakes I have.
I don't have much of a background with composite construction other than some basic knowledge and I was curious as to what about the polycore was a bad idea?
It looks like it would be a suitable material for a stressed-skin panel-type construction like a stitch and glue hull or like the sprint hulls? Or does it not have the rigidity and it needs a mold to maintain shape before the lamination process?
You've already gotten the first few steps going for you with this project:
1) you have a good idea of what you want to use the boat for.....
2) you've decided on a hull design that you feel would do the job and just as importantly, you like....
3) you have already done research to have a good idea of what materials you feel would allow the boat to do what you want.....
3) you've already made strides in obtaining suppliers for those materials....
.....am I right or no?

....at this point, the next step in my mind would be what powertrain you think would work well for your project. For running the rivers like you want, a jet would obviously be the best choice for the drive. The easiest way to obtain a jet drive powertrain would be to get a used or wrecked jet ski. The advantages of going this route is having a matching engine and drive designed from the start to work together and is already marinized. Doing an EJ20 is definitely a good option in my mind but it will be a bit more work and probably a bit more money, but definitely doable if that's what you really want.
So where do you want it to go from there Doug? :D
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

irie E

Postby irie E » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:37 pm

How goes this project? That's a pretty sweet powerplant you have for your build!

DSR

Postby DSR » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:01 am

Hi Dom, thanks for stopping by!
I lurked your post when it first popped up and I'm impressed with what you've accomplished with it. Nicely done!
I've never had any hands-on experience with the surface drives but I'm familiar with them through researching them out of curiosity when the Arneson drives started gaining popularity. I even spent some time on Mercury's attempt with the long defunct Blackhawk drive. Teaming the surface drive with electric power like you have is very cool!

The TNT project got put on the back burner for a bit, simply because I have too many irons in the fire. I have a couple engine builds with head port and flow work that I committed to before I started the TNT and they both got the go ahead this winter and I'm also in the process of throwing a fuel-injected LT1 350 and overdrive transmission into a little 2wd '91 S10 pickup for myself (needed something to haul wood with and also pull the TNT when it's done.... :lol: )

I've been picking up tools and equipment along the way and I did manage to pick up the stuff to reloft and re-fair the hull design so that's going to finally happen here in the next couple weeks if everything works out, then I start building. I'm even toying with the idea of turning the TNT into a tunnel hull.... just a thought.....

Thanks for putting up with my rambling :D

Dave

DSR

Postby DSR » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi everyone.

Haven't had an update in a while with things going in 8 different directions at once, but now I'm getting my focus back to the build and I thought I'd​ stop by and say hi and update.

Well, when I jumped into the deep end, I didn't realize how "deep" the deep end could get. :shock: :shock:

I started out to build a practice boat to gain build experience and play with until I got to my goal of building a V-drive Tornado with a 6.0L LS engine. But, with me being me, I decided that I wanted something a little different, so I had the bright idea of building a jet TNT. Only issue there was that I ended up with a 165 hp turbo Honda 4 cylinder PWC as a donor for the build (as you all have seen). So I've been in the process of engineering all the necessary changes to the design to make it happen.

In the middle of all this, I had another bright idea (I gotta stop doing that....) that since I kinda modeled the boat after some of the jet drag tunnel boats that I fell in love with growing up, why not go whole hog and turn it into a tunnel hull to complete the package?????

So, at this point, I'm not only taking an 11' outboard runabout, stretching it to 12' 6" and adding an 18" pump setback pod just to fit "almost" too much power into it with the Honda, I am, with the much appreciated help from a racing tunnel hull design guru that I've met recently, now modifying the TNT into a Mod-VP style tunnel hull.

........I think I may have exceeded the limit on my "dare to be different" card with this one......

Happy sailing..... :D

Dave

Return to “Jet Ski Power”