Bit by the bug.

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

luckyadjustments

Bit by the bug.

Post by luckyadjustments » Thu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm

I guess this could be a general topic but maybe you pump guys will relate a little more. This is my first boat. Building a jet squirt. I am economically challenged right now as i'm sure many of you are. Well... I'm almost done fairing and i'm about to start planking. Ran out of money. My girlfriend and I just graduated from college and everyone says we are over or under qualified. Sooooo, I have found myself selling car parts, stereos, counting the piggy bank. I guess you get the idea. Any extra change we have after the bills are paid at the end of the month is going to the "boat jar". Gosh epoxy is expensive. But I guess the reason for this post (if you have even made it this far and your intelligence level hasn't dropped simply from reading this mush) is to see if anyone else has some similar stories. Some moral support would be appreciated. It's a good thing it's summer in Florida because that would make some nice firewood in the winter back home.

Bit by the boat bug?

DaveLott

Re: Bit by the bug.

Post by DaveLott » Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Ah,, there was a sail boat at last's years Gathering that cost the builder at total of $200 (if I recall correctly). So you have the bug and will - so there is a way.

Looks like a lot of craigslist and ebay shopping is in store for you to cut as many costs as possible.

Good luck and keep involved. We are all here to help and keep you going

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Thu May 27, 2010 5:51 pm

If you need any heavy tools you are welcome to come to Winter Haven and use any of mine. I have planer, heavy band saw, and just about anything else you might need. (except need more clamps) One of my flight instructors has a home in Fort Meyers. He tells me things are tough there. Things will get better. The squirt is on my llist of boats to build.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu May 27, 2010 6:44 pm

luckyadjustments,

This boat building stuff certainly isnt cheap and you dont want to skimp on the important stuff. Dont worry about how long it takes to build just do it right because you will enjoy it for years to come. I bought almost all of my hardware for half price on ebay (cleats, steering wheel, step pads, etc)
My wife and I have only been out of college a few years ourselves. I spent 5 years lurking on this forum during and after college while just getting into a position to have the money and place to build. I think we all give up something in order to have the resources to build our dream boat.
Good for you for starting even though its not the ideal time for you. Many people wait forever to be in the perfect situation to follow a dream and thus fail to ever start.

I hope you both find the type of jobs you are looking for soon so you can build to your hearts content.
Last edited by vupilot on Thu May 27, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Well myself and other half live on fixed income and living in a apartment at the moment but working of getting a house so we can build. Money is tight for sure but we will piece it together sooner or latter good luck and don't be discouraged
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

luckyadjustments

Post by luckyadjustments » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks all, I'm reluctant to reply because I still want the thread to keep going. I appreciate all of the offers and the advice. I'll just take those broken sander belts and staple em' to a block of wood.

luckyadjustments

Post by luckyadjustments » Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I know upspirate scours these things so maybe even though it's a couple hours away and a real high long bridge... a large (complimentary) cooler of beer may be worth a journey. Am I relieving myself up a rope?

sincerely,
luck

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri May 28, 2010 9:13 am

What would you like Lucky....some help on a visit??

Or some suggestions?

A boat ride fix?

I can make some time a little later in the summer to come down there

I've found some steals on Craigslist,maybe get some rigs and sell the engine,trailers,parts separately.

Dave Grason had some luck advertising in a local paper in Nashville (could try Craigslist too) for people to donate motors for him to learn how to fix....do that and fix and sell,scrap out for the metal, or sell the parts on E-bay

Let me know

Warren

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Fri May 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi luckyadjustments ,This is my story,I am on carers allowance looking after my son who has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair and my wife who has multiple sclerosis,I also have a new 13 year old girl living with me after the death of my wife's sister,and I will tell you one thing if anyone can afford to bring up a teenager they will have a hard time paying for a boat :lol: I built my malahini for under €2000 ,Most of the timber came from local workshops, carpenters and skips,when you think about it you only need short bits for the frames and a lot of places throw these out, the engine came from putting ads in the freeads looking for old engines to takeaway I got six in the end and made two good ones.
I lived on ebay for the all the chrome fittings some I got for 1 cent , take your time and stick to your limit.
I started building my boat a week after my DAD died and named it after him it was the best medicine for me and helps me to get away from life for awhile.If you want to build a boat then you will one way or another.
This is a little clip from my local paper.

Return to “Jet Ski Power”