Rogue Runner with a jet ski power source

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

crowsridge

Re: Rogue Runner with a jet ski power source

Postby crowsridge » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi Bob,

I got the lumber at Tree Products in Springfield on Shelly St.. I used to buy lots from The Lumber Centre on Hwy 34 near you. But they didnt have most of what I wanted lately, and what they had was a bunch higher price.

Chris

BobBrown55

Postby BobBrown55 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:27 am

crowsridge wrote:Hi Bob,

I got the lumber at Tree Products in Springfield on Shelly St.. I used to buy lots from The Lumber Centre on Hwy 34 near you. But they didnt have most of what I wanted lately, and what they had was a bunch higher price.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Ah, Tree Products makes sense. I've purchase from them before. I also looked at Crosscut Hardwoods on West 7th in Eugene a couple of weeks ago. They seemed to have a better selection, especially of Okume marine plywood.

The place you referenced on Hwy 34, is that next to Wood Castle? I see they carry some hardwood, but I haven't been in there. I'll go check that out.

Thanks!

Bob
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.

crowsridge

Postby crowsridge » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Does anyone know what username or how to PM Mr. Hankins? I can find reference to him/Tiny Might and sent a PM to the wrong person accidently from one of those references. Id love to learn more about his Honda install.

Thanks!

Chris

crowsridge

Postby crowsridge » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Well, on to plan B. A full week and no response on Mr. Hankins. I spent three hours today talking to my new power supplier. What a wealth of knoledge! I love talking to folks who know their stuff. The guy is brilliant and loves to build off the wall things too. How can it get better?

I am thinking of making a smaller lighter version of the Rouge Runner with the plans I have. I cant find a member that has made the RR either so will ask the group.

I have a 500cc pump that was run w/38hp. I picked up a 60 hp motor today to run it. What Id like to do is build the RR stitch and glue style and eliminate one stringer out to make it 15' instead of the 17.5'. THe plans say I can lengthen it by just adding an identical frame. The first 3 frames are soo similar! This is a prototype to see what it really takes to get a non PWC motor to push a PWC pump.

Ideas?

Thanks, Chris

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:55 pm

One problem I see is that stitch and glue designs have patterns for the panels.

On a ply on frame boat, the patterns are for the frames and a build form and how to set them up.....you get the panel shape from the completed frame/keel/chine/shear.

You can theoretically build any design S&G style, but you won't know what shape to make the panels,plus you would have to figure out how,where and what size to make bulkheads and braces.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:58 pm

I can't help you on the power train.....no experience there.

Sometimes when you propose radical changes it's a crapshoot and you have to realize it may all be for nothing and a waste of time and money also.

If you are willing to accept that, forge ahead,that's how new things are born!

crowsridge

Postby crowsridge » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks! I guess that falls into the whole project then. Ive seen jetskis propel boats, seen automotive engines marinized, and the plans give me the lines. Just have to translate them. Pretty straight lines compared to the ones most are building. I love the challenge, but sometimes it will make your head spin.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:00 am

I'm not saying don't do it,just be aware of what you are getting into.

Some can do it, some it's beyond their capabilities....only you know what you can do.

keep us posted as it will be a cool thread/build to follow

crowsridge

Postby crowsridge » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:05 am

I have been looking for s&g plans that are the same boat design I need. The Dragonfly looks similar, but is longer and Im not sure if the raised sole is required for integrity. That looks more like a bass fishing platform. Not sure I would gain, or actually lose anything from the RR?

I think the maybe best thing would be to get the deminsions of a SeeDoo intake, order a pump from a 800cc or bigger and build the full on RR. Then play around with a Garvey plan to use the smaller setup.

Chris

Return to “Jet Ski Power”