Hello All!

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Static

Hello All!

Postby Static » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Hello,

Thought I would say hi and introduce myself. My name is Cody. I am building a jet squirt using the 587cc rotax. This will be my first full boat build. I have rebuilt and restored two other boats in the past (Never again will I restore a boat). Been lurking around the forums for about a week now reading all the different topics and doing a lot of research. To give you an idea of what I am doing, I am building a jet squirt stretched 10% with a reverse angle on the transom, using a rotax engine out of a 96 SPI, I will not be grafting the jet ski to the boat but rather taking terrymc's approach and building the squirt to accept the power train. This is mostly because my wife says I am cheating if I do it any other way and I will not let her call me a cheater lol. I have build a few cars and dune buggies so I am not new to this but at the same time I am. I will surely be posting progress pics and asking questions along the way so thanks in advance for your help.
Why not is why!

crowsridge

Re: Hello All!

Postby crowsridge » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Hello Static and welcome. Sounds like fun. I will offer the obligatory beg for pictures as you progress :D Im doing a half cheat I think. Just using the Yamaha intake/pump combo. Tigersharks have the same setup. I will have non pwc power in mine.

Again welcome to the group!

Chris

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Static,

Welcome to the certifiably insane who build jet squirts! I'll be watching...

TRM

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Welcome! We'll be watching for pics. Let me suggest an aftermarket intake grate for the SeaDoo. It keeps water fed to the pump really well and eliminated any cavitation issues I had. You should run mid 40's with that set up and it is an absolute adrenaline rush!

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Static

Postby Static » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks guys, I started cutting wood for the jig tonight and I am making sure its dead nuts on since if it is off the entire boat will be off. I am really going after a certain look with this boat (The old Chris Craft look) and plan to take the time to do it right and not try to rush it. I have not had a chance to go get the actual boat building lumber yet (Hopefully this weekend) but wanted to at the very least get the lumber for the jig cut so I didn't have to mess with cutting it later. Although now that I have started the project it seems to already be relaxing me which is one of the primary reasons for building this, that and I have a lot of town time on my hands in the evenings and this should take care of the problem.
Why not is why!

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 am

Static - Please post your location for all of our reference.

You and Terry Mac need to come to G6. Then we can have a "race" with 3 jet squirts (Kevin Brown included). That would be cool
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Static

Postby Static » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Well I have the frame jig built and I went out and bought a bunch of white oak today for the frame members, keel, and battens. I am ordering the mahogany for the chines and sheer as it was cheaper to buy 1/4 sawn mahogany then it was 1/4 sawn white oak. I went to hobby lobby and bought some tracing paper and got all my patters laid out onto the paper and now just have to transfer them to the white oak. I am taking my sweet little time. I read somewhere on this board somebody saying "Building a boat is not a race" so when I start to get impatience I just thank about that and enjoy how relaxing it is. So far I am having a total blast building this thing and I am really excited to see it start looking like a boat.
Why not is why!

Return to “Jet Ski Power”