The start of my jet powered squirt!

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Static

The start of my jet powered squirt!

Postby Static » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Well I have been working on this project for about 2 weeks now and I have got the frames cut out and the frame jig built. I still need to build the stem and assemble the frames. Overall I am have fun doing it and really enjoying it thus far.
Attachments
photo 6.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Why not is why!

upspirate

Re: The start of my jet powered squirt!

Postby upspirate » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:20 pm

looking great! :D

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:35 pm

you mean there will be 3 of those rockets!

Hurry and get it done
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Static

Postby Static » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:22 pm

While the frame work seems to be moving smoothly. That is after I gave up on the jig saw and bought a 12" band saw. Talk about the right tool for the job. I just need to get a decent bench top sander and I will be golden. I think the time consuming part will be the power train. I should have about 2" to spare between frame #1 and the front of the motor. I recently found out that a buddy of mine acquired a 3 axis mill so I am going to have him make a few things when we get to that portion. I am still a bit in shock at how much it is costing me to have the Meranti shipped since nobody local has it. Jeff at World Panel called me a few days ago and gave me a firm price shipped to my door and it seems to be the best yet so I will most likely be using them.
Why not is why!

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:01 am

Static wrote:While the frame work seems to be moving smoothly. That is after I gave up on the jig saw and bought a 12" band saw. Talk about the right tool for the job. I just need to get a decent bench top sander and I will be golden. I think the time consuming part will be the power train. I should have about 2" to spare between frame #1 and the front of the motor. I recently found out that a buddy of mine acquired a 3 axis mill so I am going to have him make a few things when we get to that portion. I am still a bit in shock at how much it is costing me to have the Meranti shipped since nobody local has it. Jeff at World Panel called me a few days ago and gave me a firm price shipped to my door and it seems to be the best yet so I will most likely be using them.

Make sure that he is selling you true meranti and not hydrocore. Ask him what label is on the sheets. Then let me know and I am very familiar with the current varieties and some of it is not too sporty, especially the hydrocore crap. There are some creative alternatives when dealing with shipping costs associated with plywood. Check with local cabinet shops and even better lumberyards. You maybe able to get some plywood added to their normal and standard orders, saving you some hardcore money.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:17 am

I was not impressed with the hydrocore. I used one piece and took the rest back.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

steve crawford

Postby steve crawford » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:39 pm

I haven't found a source for Marine ply. under 1/2'' here in the K.C. area... And I buy from cabinet shop suppliers that flat out say they can't get it ...or like Schutte Lumber they need to get a unit or (bundle) at a time....So I used luan on my TNT and it never failed....

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Nice start!

The Meranti Ply I used was BS1088 Hydro-Tek.. not sure what HydroCORE is, but I wouldn't want anyone to confuse the two.

BS1088 Hydro-Tek was fantastic for my build. Strong, stiff yet able to bend some pretty hefty curves. Nice color and slightly thicker veneer than the BS6566 Aqua-Tek.

I had my plywood and lumber shipped from out-of-provice (state) and it was still a good deal compared to local. Mahagany is not local for anyone in US or Canada... shipping is part of the price regardless.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Static

Postby Static » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Well I had the day off today with no kids or wife home so I got a lot done. I had all the frames mounted to the jig and came out this morning to mount the stem and the keel and started looking at it and it just didnt look right. I took some measurements and sure enough the frame jig had warped pretty bad due to some questionable wood I used so I scraped the entire thing and build a new one from good solid wood. Got all the frames on the new jig and mounted the stem and fitted the keel. It feels good to be done with the frames and moving on to things that make it look more like a boat. Tomorrow night I plan to rip the battens and get the keel mounted.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 1(2).JPG
Why not is why!

Static

Postby Static » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Battens are down keel is almost done. Still gotta install the shim I made for the stem and keel mating. I wanted to see it with the chines halfway on so I just have them clamped up. Going to be stem bending these next week I hope then it will be on to the sheers.
Attachments
photo 2(2).JPG
photo 1(3).JPG
Why not is why!

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Coming fast! :D

Static

Postby Static » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Why not is why!

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 am

My do I remember those days. It will seem like things are flying together for a while until you get down to all the finishing details.

But looking really good
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:25 am

Your definately moving at a fast clip. Looking great so far. Once you get past fairing and start laying some plywood down it will give you a whole different feeling... like its actually a boat and not a pile of lumber!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

vinvega

Postby vinvega » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:18 am

Lookin good so far, do you have a donor ski picked out yet?

Return to “Jet Ski Power”