Pump installation help

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

MLboat

Pump installation help

Postby MLboat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:05 pm

I am looking at building a Dyno Jet. I would probably use a power plant out of a 717cc seadoo. Would this be able to fit well compared to the 650cc Kawasaki? Also, how do most people install the pump? When the pump is cut out of the ski, is it place internally on top of the frame battens or are the edges of the hull indented with a router into the exterior of the boat?

Mr Hot Rod

Re: Pump installation help

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:48 am

Welcome to the Forum ! No idea where the Jet Guys are ... :P

Until someone shows up, you may be able to answer some of your questions if you follow the link at the bottom of Glen-L's Home Page. Kawasaki and Sea-Doo are covered :

• Kevin Brown (BulldogBoater) built a Sea-Doo powered Squirt. I was looking at his website several weeks ago, but it seems to be down now. I sent him a PM to see if it's still active.

You'll find a few pics in his old build thread :

• Gordon Scrim documented his Dyno-Jet build, but several photos don't load properly. Its powered by a Kawasaki JS 650SX JetSki engine :

Enjoy your project !

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

MLboat

Postby MLboat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks a lot! That first link really simplified it more.

JasonG

Postby JasonG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:03 am

Hi and welcome. On my dyno-jet build, the donor ski has a pump that is made out of aluminum and bolted in the ski. I had to use a router to cut an indent to the underside of the hull so that the pump flanges fit flush. I cut the indents all the way up to the last keel batten which is wide enough to fit the pump housing with room to spare on each side. You can follow my build here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14136.

Jason

MLboat

Postby MLboat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 pm

So JasonG, it looks like you installed your pump on the outside of the hull. Most builds I have seen have the pump mounted on the inside instead. Is there any proper way to do this?

JasonG

Postby JasonG » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 pm

MLboat wrote:So JasonG, it looks like you installed your pump on the outside of the hull. Most builds I have seen have the pump mounted on the inside instead. Is there any proper way to do this?

You are right- all of the builds that I have seen have the pumps mounted differently than mine so I have been on my own for this part of the build. Really though either way is correct and depending on what equipment your donor ski offers is the deciding factor. It really is up to you but don't worry- the forums here offer plenty of help whenever you need it.

Jason

MLboat

Postby MLboat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Alright, thank you guys for all the help. I don't know when I will start my build. Still saving up for fiberglass and fastener kit, and also looking for a donor ski.

JasonG

Postby JasonG » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:02 pm

When looking for your donor, measure the total length of the engine and pump. The dynojet has a max limit of 42 inches between the transom and seat back. The fiberglass will come much later so you can start on the boat while saving for that.
Good luck with your build!

Jason

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 pm

There are a couple of different ways to do it. The alignment of the engine to the pump is critical on SeaDoos so I opted to cut engine and pump combo out of the SeaDoo and keep it in tact. Then I grafted the SeaDoo Hull to the boat flush with the bottom of the hull. I built up some "stringers" for added strength in the mounting.

Hope this helps.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

MLboat

Postby MLboat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Alright thanks, is there something wrong with your website, www.tubbytug.com? I can't get it to load.

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 pm

I am changing hosting companies. I cancelled another website and Yahoo hosting deleted my entire account. Then, they want to charge me as a new customer. Anyway, 30 days I'll be able to go with another hosting company. Check back.

KB
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

MLboat

Postby MLboat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:42 am

Just saw that your website is back up! When you installed the pump and removed the blocks, did you put the screw back in after the blocks?

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 pm

When you say "blocks", what are you referring to?

I didn't actually remove anything at all except the outlet cone. I cut the hull around the pump and motor and left then engine mounts and everything in tact in one big piece, and grafted that to the hull.

I was not very knowledgeable out skis at the time and wanted to minimize my risk for error as much as possible.

KB

MLboat

Postby MLboat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:27 pm

These blocks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 9.26.49 PM.png

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Ahh...

I did put the screws back in. Now that I've done this a few times, I don't know that the screws are necessary. I have a tendency to overbuild and a little redundancy never hurt anyone.

KB

Return to “Jet Ski Power”