Starting my first build with a jet TNT

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

DSR

Re: Starting my first build with a jet TNT

Postby DSR » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:53 am

Hi Denon,

Yeah, it's been a couple minutes hasn't it? :D

Still working on the TNT but progress has been slow on any actual building worthy of pictures yet. I've been spending a lot of time with the CAD program drawing up all the billet aluminum "bling" that i'll need for the TNT, like the intake mount flange and pump adapter assembly to make the pump one piece to go into the hull, mounts for the pump reverse bucket (since it doesn't mount to the pump nozzle like on your AT pump), engine mount rail kit to mount the engine to the stringers, fuel tank and seat mounts, etc., designing a custom 17-4 PH stainless driveshaft for the pump so I can put the engine and the pump in the right locations in the hull, and locating a shop capable of making it for me. I'm also prepping the engine and mapping out the wiring harness to switch from the factory Honda ECU (which is not able to be programmed) to a programmable stand-alone engine management system. So I have actually been working on it, but it's all been details, so not much to really show people yet......

My life has also jumped to the next level of crazy this spring and that's slowing the fun stuff down too. I ended up changing jobs and taking over management of a high performance / conversion / fabrication shop here local to me and after the previous manager spent 2 years screwing it up, it's ended up being a 24/7 job so far trying to get things turned around and back on track.
......Oh, and I also got "suckered" into pulling and rebuilding / upgrading a pair of 454 big blocks out of my personal shops landlord's 27' Magic offshore boat that a couple other "mechanics" had their mitts into beforehand, so I'm currently up to my eyeballs in that project too. Sooooooooo..........yeah. :lol:

........and I'm sure I'm missing some other things in the mix, So I definitely feel your pain about doing 2 jobs at once (it's so unfair how life gets in the way of boat-building isn't it?!?!)
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

behrendt

Postby behrendt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 am

Hello Dave
I have been thinking of building a Tahoe and already received the plans. Now I just found an old SeaDoo SP and thought I would like to build a jet version of the Zip. I asked on the forum for information about a jet Zip and your post was referenced. After reading and looking at the pictures I have more questions than I realized.

One question: is there a hump in the bottom at the transition of the Zip hull and the ski platform? The issue with keel I don't totally understand. It appears that the ski hull sits a couple inches below the Zip keel. Can you help me understand how you positioned the ski hull up and down in the Zip?

I hope to follow your post as soon as I figure out how to log onto it without going thru all the other posts first. Thanks, hope to hear from you soon

DSR

Postby DSR » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:37 am

Hi Berhendt,

Sorry I missed this when you posted. My email failed me.....

Cribbsy is actually the gentleman doing the Jet Zip, but I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

I'm not familiar with the hull on the SP, so if there's any chance you could get a couple pics of the keel and pump intake area on it, that would give me a better idea on proper positioning in the Zip hull.
Ideally, the drop keel created by positioning the ski keel should.be just a touch wider than the the pump intake and doesn't need to extend below the bottom of the Zip hull any more than a couple inches. I'd shoot for 4-5' of drop keel length in the Zip bottom and parallel to the Zip keel with the pump as far back as you can get it. The closer you can get the pump intake to the transom of the Zip hull, the better.

I hope this helps Berhendt and if you have more questions, ask away, I'm glad to help

Thanks!
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Return to “Jet Ski Power”