Squirt jet drive question.

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Crimson Tide

Squirt jet drive question.

Post by Crimson Tide » Fri May 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Whats the biggest size jet drive that will realistically fit in a Squirt? Also am I correct that a 25hp is pushing the weight limits of an outboard on the Squirt?

Drew

Post by Drew » Fri May 04, 2007 10:47 pm

100lbs would be my limit personally. I have a 20 now but havn't finished the boat yet. It weighs 97 lbs so its not too bad. There is someone who i believe has a 30 on theirs but it all dpends on what you do with the boat.

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Mon May 07, 2007 11:30 am

Crimson,

The Squirt is "offically" rated for 10 HP - most outboard folks put between 10 and 20 on the boat. Do check for insurance availibility in your state before you exceed the rating. There are other things to conside than weight - the Squirt has a relitively low transom height, and a larger engine has the potential to swamp the boat when you come off a plane due to the larger wake size.

Interestingly enough, the USCG regs stipulate that there are limits on outboard horsepower, but not on inboards (doesn't seem rational, but that's the way it is!). My 550 Kawasaki puts out 38 HP (and weighs 65 pounds). Most jet Squirt folks say that the boat will top out in the mid '40 MPH at this power level. One guy put in a kawa 750 and reported more than 50 MPH.

If you are going the jet route, the first thing to do is to find your donor jet ski, because you will need to design the boat around the drive train. My only data point is Kawasaki (a pretty popular drive train). In this case, the boat needs to be stretched from 10'-0" (the Glen-l standard) to 11'-4". This allows the entire drive train to be set back of the seat (at frame #1). The jet pump is then located on a bracket behind the transom.

TRM

Crimson Tide

Post by Crimson Tide » Wed May 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks for your help Terry. I'll start looking around for a jet ski and see what I can come up with. My only concern is losing the storage space behind the seat. I do like the increase in speed though.

slociviccoupe

Re: Squirt jet drive question.

Post by slociviccoupe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:34 am

older jet ski's have smaller pumps. mostly anything under 800 cc's has a 140mm pump. engines above 800cc's have 155mm pumps. Kawisaki mixed flow pumps are prone to cavitation. The seadoo and yamaha pumps are much better in stock form than the kawasaki pumps. they also offer better mounting.

Caber-Feidh

Re: Squirt jet drive question.

Post by Caber-Feidh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:17 pm

a high pressure/low volume pump will always have a higher top speed potential than an axial pump. the worst low speed behavior of the two. Faster handling at higher RPM.

Axials are great for pulling loads, or driving an adventure boat. High mass pumps will develop a better holeshot, and are much easier to keep pointed in the right direction at low speed. Slightly more efficient, will work with more marine fouling in the pump.

It all depends on what you want out of the boat. Personally I hate single stage axials, they are just a glorified propeller in a stovepipe.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

Return to “Jet Ski Power”