Modified JET Squirt - Final Draft of the design

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

chappo1970

Modified JET Squirt - Final Draft of the design

Post by chappo1970 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:22 am

Still putting the final touches to my modified squirt design with a jet. The main hold up at this stage is to secure a good doner jet ski so that I can get the engine bay, transom and boat length/dimensions sorted out before the build starts.

I work in construction and have learnt over the years that solid a plan/blueprint for a project is paramount to its overall success. Considering I want to modify the design, initially at the transom, but now creating a jet powered cross bred it is more critical.

I thought I might step thru my design thoughts. I initially wanted it for the kids (2 and 6) but I soon realised I wanted it for me and the kids (to run shotgun). Firstly what did I want it for?
1. Family hell raising fun.
2. Something speedy really speedy.
3. Maybe something to race.
4. I wanted it to look the part.

Right from the start this boat was always going to be fully fibreglassed and 2 pack painted with plenty of airbrush art. I intend to round all the edges around the hull except for the transom. I want it to look like a one piece fibreglassed hull without all the seem rubbers, chrome trims etc that commercial builder use.

Rear to Front View. I really wanted to modernize this design but keep its classic lines intact. Especially the bow, transom (barrel back esq) and the deck lines. Like a fararri or lamborgini these should be enhanced but not bastardized to point that you can't recognise the make and design. I felt that the transom really dated the design, which is fine if you want a 1950's reproduction or you just like the look, but I wanted something that screamed SPEED. So I reversed the raked transom 12 deg from the "at rest" waterline and added a modular duck board at the water line. This also covered up and integrated the jet cowling at the transom.The engine cowling was to add that drag car 1970 muscle car bonnet "I'm here for business" stance in the water. The side vents are deep vented chrome ones you get from a boat chandlery that remind me of shark gills. I want the dash to follow the lines of the deck with a bump roll to accent the instrument cluster like in modern vehicles. The seating bump rolls have been directly stolen from the Seadoo jet boat, I just love the look of those things, it looks like it's completely encompassing the driver. And the "EeeJay" well they are my sons initials and nick name.

Front to rear view. Now there has been some artistic licence taken in the seating arrangement. There is no way that the squirt cabin is anywhere near that roomy but it does convey the concept I want to achieve at the end of the day. I plan to use some cut down recaro race seats and have them re-upolstered to suit. I want my butt as close to the hull as possible and I don't want the top of the seats poking to far past the top of the deck. The windscreen will be a three piece lexen/plasti-glass with polished stainless steel side trims with holes cut thru them (like a set of sunglasses). There are two reasons for the windscreen, one it looks good and two it acts as a wind break. I hate eating bugs and it takes way to many beers to wash away that taste. The engine cowl will have a honeycomb chrome mesh insert to finish the overall look.

"There is nothing that duct tape cannot fix."

steve crawford

Post by steve crawford » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:18 am

Man that boat is HOT LOOKING . You are quite the artist, now if you can bring that baby to life. Everyone is wating.

I have been told by a mechanic friend not seadoos and no polarus. Seadoos have a plastic or teflon wear ring in the jet pump. Yamaha and Kawasaki are the main ones to go with.

Now if some one should get a hold of a new 4stroke would be nice.

Throw this Idea out their( Twin Jet Drives In The 14' Jet Cat ) What a mod that would be.............

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:07 am

I used a Kawasaki set up and thought it was a pia. Cutting the hull up and then dealing with the driveshaft issue was difficult. Just getting the flotation foam off of the cutout peice was a ton of work. It would be interesting to hear from folks that have used sea doo, yamaha or polaris.....

It does appear that most folks use the Kawasaki set up.
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

steve crawford

Post by steve crawford » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:22 am

Hay Andy eagerly wating for page 17-18 to apear on you're boat site with launch pics. How much longer for the paint to dry?

You to Terry ,what hapened you're pump get lost in the mail.

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:57 pm

I went with the System Three Paint - This paint is great in that it super friendly to use. I cleared the deck on my boat with my kids in the garage. The downside is it takes two weeks to dry. I got the sides all primered this weekend and want to paint the transom before I put in the water so I can permanently install the exhaust, drain plugs and other misc fittings. Getting there.....
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

chappo1970

Post by chappo1970 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Hey Steve go anymore photo's of that cat. I thought I would do you up some concept designs see if I can get you motivated to build that bad ass puppy!
"There is nothing that duct tape cannot fix."

Return to “Jet Ski Power”