Jet ski speed...

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

petersjoe

Jet ski speed...

Post by petersjoe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:47 am

I am beginning the initial stages of my Flying Saucer build. While planning to use a jet ski engine, I will have to modify the cockpit position. However I am looking for some info on how the boat planes, and what type of speed is expected or resulted from putting a 650 in a 12'-14'boat? Depedning on how prior builds have planed I would like to adjust accordingly. I am looking for 25mph+. In anyones opinion is this possible?

steve crawford

Post by steve crawford » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:56 am

I think 25mph is no problem. With the bolt -ons you can do to these 650's.
Intake grates-impellers-bigger carbs-high compresion heads-exhaust.
A lot of guys on http://www.pwctoday.com/ that can answer all kinds of questions.

For cross referencing Kawasaki parts to see what will interchange go to
http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.as ... EHICLE.ASP

I found the same drive shaft is used from 1989-1999 on 650-750-900 2person skis. But the 650 stand up also has the same spline and I think the 550SX does also .

The 550 js does not .And if I had it to do over again I wouldn't get another 550 especialy the js. The splines don't match up with annything. So if you want a shorter drive shaft you are out of luck.

And the 550sx pump impeller is about 1/4'' bigger in dia. than the older JS
so watch out when geting parts. They started making the 550 sx in 89 or 90.

And the seado jet pumps have a plastic or teflon wear ring in the pump housing. Unlike the stainless steel other manuf. use.

chappo1970

Post by chappo1970 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:56 pm

25 MPH should be very achievable in that size craft. Go with Steve's advice and research as much as possible before your build.
"There is nothing that duct tape cannot fix."

Return to “Jet Ski Power”