Drive shaft compatibility

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

steve crawford

Drive shaft compatibility

Post by steve crawford » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:14 am

Here is some interisting info:
I was at the dealer ship yesterday to take my Kawasaki 650 pump and solas 13-18 ,multipitch impeller in to be miked.
Wile talking to the mechanic he hapened to have a Seado drive shaft on the bench. It is off a 1996 Seado XP and the splines are the same as the Kawasaki 650 impeller.

He was talking about the disadvantage of the Seado pump. All pumps heat up from the water friction and the teflon wear ring on Seado's get hot ,and if a small rock gets sucked up, it gets stuck in that soft plastic and the impeller just beats itself up.
Stainles-steel wear rings are the way to go.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:24 am

So is this a case of the older models had plastic and the newer ones got upgraded? ....or do some brands have the stainless and others the plastic?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:01 pm

It would be helpful if we had a list of what driveshafts fit what. In my case the Kawasaki X2 driveshaft that came with the donor ski was way to long. The Kawasaki TS has the same spline and lovejoy (I think that what it is called) and is considerably shorter. Which worked perfect -

Some guys have complained that their boats porpoise and are tricky to get on plane and I wonder if having the pump so far out the back causes this.
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

steve crawford

Post by steve crawford » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:04 am

The 750 sx drive shaft has the same splines as the 650 and same as the 550 sx(not js550 it is different). The 750 sx shaft is 24'' long. The 650 ts shaft is like 17'' long. The 650 x2 is 31''long. All these are Kawasaki.

Don't have porpoising problems with my boat.

The teflon wear ring (I think) is only in Seado, could be wrong.

Return to “Jet Ski Power”