Engine Compartment dimensioning

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

petersjoe

Engine Compartment dimensioning

Post by petersjoe » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:06 pm

The more I look over pictures of peoples' boats, I cant help but notice the step coming off the transom. I noticed Steve Crawford has one, and I was wondering why do you need one? Is it due to space restrictions? If space restrictions are the case, how much room do you need for the jet ski install? Or how much room did it require for anyone else? I hope you all have your answer caps on because Ill be writing a lot over the next few months! Thanks!

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:55 am

That is correct - Many people install the step to fit in a stock Jetski Setup.

The original Jet Ski I used (a Kawasaki X2) was in the neighborhood of 51 inches from the front of the engine to the end of the pump, and I had about 40 inches to work with. After much research on driveshafts and some blind luck, I learned that a Kawasaki TS has the same coupler to the engine and keyway to the impellar, and is 16 5/8 from the spline end of the shaft to the inside of the coupler. This was a little longer than I wanted to use, but these driveshafts are readily available and cheap on Ebay

There maybe other setups that are compatible as well.
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

steve crawford

Post by steve crawford » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10 am

If I would have known what I do now I would stay as far away from the Kawasaki JS550 as I could. No other drive shaft will interchange.

I would put the pump inside the boat like Andy did.

But I still like the idea of the gas tank in the center.

petersjoe

Post by petersjoe » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:20 am

I definately like the idea of the gas tank over the center! Thanks for your responses.

Return to “Jet Ski Power”