stupid newbie question; Zip with jet power

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rossi198

stupid newbie question; Zip with jet power

Post by rossi198 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm

Okay, here is the deal...

i am going to be building the Zip and would like to know the how, what and particulars to convert from the outboard to the jet power. I.E. what size engine (crashed jet ski) to be looking for, what pitfalls i will/might encounter etc.

basically what do i need and what do i need to know to make this happen.

i really like the idea of having the more classic runabout look without the outboard hanging on the transom.

any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

i was initially going to do the squirt but i think it is just a bit to small for what i am after.

thanks, Bill

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:57 am

personally.in that size boat,I'd use a jet out of a Sea Rayder,or Bayliner Jazz or any one of that size of jet boat.

They come with 90-115-or 175 hp engines.

The boat is big enough to handle the extra weight ,& it would be easier to install as far as alignment etc.

Buy a donor boat with a bad hull & use all the components.
Steering would be easier too as it's designed to use a wheel instead of handle bars.

There are enough of them out there that you should be able to get one for pretty close to Jet Ski prices

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:32 pm

Bill,

I think that ups is right on - the zip is a pretty big boat - note that there IS NO USCG HIGH END LIMIT for horsepower for an inboard like there is for an outboard. Get the biggest engine/jet setup that you can find/afford.

For what it's worth, you also made the right decision on a boat. I love my jet squirt, but it's, well, "cozy"- if I had it to do over again, I've build at least a "saucer, and maybe a Zip.

DO get an entire jet ski - you will need all the parts. Also, make sure you get a donor ski with a reverse set-up - I just hate to pull out the paddle at the dock, 'cuase I can't go backward.

peace,

TRM

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:17 pm

You know, the Zip is a flat bottom design. Would that effect a jet drive negatively or positively?

Ok, I know that it would positively effect it. But would it be better or worse?

.....oh you know what I mean.......
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:18 pm

I could be wrong but I don't think flat bottoms are conducive to jet power

steve crawford

Post by steve crawford » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:21 pm

The Squirt looks pretty flat to me and seems to work.
My TNT I droped the center of the transome 3'' don't know what angel I ended up with.
I know I can lean that boat over at 28mph and get the water up to the sheer, my elbow in the water, almost on the coming and the pump is still sucking water.

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:59 pm

novass wrote:I could be wrong but I don't think flat bottoms are conducive to jet power
Generally very true. If a flat hull has enough rear weight bias, or a shoe the size of a snow shovel it will function. In the case of PWC power I think it would be fine, the limitations of the power/weight ratio, and the low nozzle velocity is never going to overpower the hull. Most PWC's are axial flow, they deal with bubbles and air allot better than a big v-8 on a pressure pot.

Return to “Jet Ski Power”