Ski King Power Plant

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Craig Prince

Ski King Power Plant

Post by Craig Prince » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:46 pm

Greetings to All,
Starting a Ski King (15FT.) and would like some input on how a Jet ski convertion would work. Is This possible. What changes to the motor stinger need to be made? etc!
CP :)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:26 am

slowcarguy is building a Ski king as a jet:

http://glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4351

Craig Prince

Post by Craig Prince » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:19 am

Yes, I have seen Slowcarguy's Jet powered Ski king and it looks good. I believe he is using a berkley Jet? But I am interesed in A JET SKI conversion. I have seen a post on this for a smaller boat but I can not find it again. Thanks for the help.
CP :)

montanamark

re ski king power plant

Post by montanamark » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 pm

I am so glad you posted this question. I have bought the AUDEEN plans and will start making frames after the holidays. Though I probably won't be buying a motor until 2009, I have been trying to plan ahead. I will probably get a 3.0 chevy marine engine and set it up as the plans suggest, but I have been curious if one of the waverunner engines would work. I live on a river and thought a jet drive would be practical.

A jet ski/wave runner jetdrive would have to be located in the back of the boat, but since it would be lighter than a regular engine, maybe it wouldn't be too critical. (The cockpit could be located forward with 2 benches to look kind of like a Chris Craft Riviera.)

I have wondered if the boat would be too underpowered. It seems that some of those little things have pretty powerfull engines. I could try and build my AUDEEN light. (The plans say you can use 3/8" ply on the bottom and 1/4" on the sides.) I would be using the boat for family outings including some skiing and tubing.

I hope that by tagging along on this post, you can help me decide too.

By the way, I am completely obscessed with boatbuilding. (First boat-cederstrip canoe. Second boat-driftboat. Third boat will be AUDEEN. Fourth boat-well, it will be my midlife crisis boat, hopefully something that will make the neighbors think I'm crazy.)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:37 am

montanamark,think about one of the jet units out of a SeaRayder or Bayliner Jazz or any # of jetboats out there...they would be more suited for a bigger build & have some high HP

Craig Prince

Post by Craig Prince » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Montanamark, glad to see your interested in this Jet Ski conversion possibility, I would sure like to hear from those who have converted somthing like the Ski King (15ft.inboard)and Marks AUDEEN (15ft. outboard ?) I understand there is 140 hp in an 1100cc. Weight and balance might be an issue? But here again, this is where I could sure use some input. Remember this is Jet Ski power and not the typical jet boat power.
Thanks
CP :D

Return to “Jet Ski Power”