Jet Ski inlet

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Carvejunky

Jet Ski inlet

Post by Carvejunky » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:18 am

Has anyone built or fabricated the inlet for the Jet Ski Pump? I have a project and am looking at mating a 550 pump to. The boat will be Ally and I am going to fab the inlet to mate to the 550. I have a full machine shop and access to casting so the actual making isn't an issue, I am looking for help on length or shape if possible. What have you done, other than glassing the ski hull. Anything that you know works or doesn't work, top loading grates, rock grates, height of pump to inlet, anything.
I started a thread in the boat power folder and I think I should have put it here. I appreciate any input anyone can give me.

Thanks

Carvejunky

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:53 am

Junky...

I built the jet inlet for my Jet Squirt. Most folks have just cut the inlet out of a donor jet ski, but for a number of reasons, I decided not to go that route. I also used a Kawa 550 pump (and engine).

I started with a rectangular plywood box, between the shaft housing bracket and the transom.

Then I "roughed in" the area, using 3/4 ply and some 2x2's split laterally at 45 degrees to get the top close to semi-circular.

The hole for the shaft is a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe potted in epoxy in both the bearing support and front of the inlet. After that it was just a matter of 4 or 5 "putty/shape/sand" iterations to get the shape just right. Here's a "semi-finished" pic

The pump itself is mounted to a bracket behind the transom (the Squirt is NOT a big boat!)

and finally here's the pump in place.

Hope this helps - any other questions, give me a yell.

TRM

Carvejunky

Post by Carvejunky » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 am

Terry,

Thanks so much for all the info. You did an awesome job on that install. The pics and explanation help tremendously. The design I have for the intake is about 16-3/8" from front of intake to front of impeller. Is this in the ballpark.

Carvejunky

terrymc

Re: Jet Ski inlet

Post by terrymc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Just moving this to the top for Waren...

TRM

wwamann

Re: Jet Ski inlet

Post by wwamann » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:19 am

TRM

Thanks, I'm still collecting info on the subject and this will help.

Will most likely start build late Oct.

:|

Waren

Return to “Jet Ski Power”