Dyno Jet

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

slociviccoupe

Re: Dyno Jet

Post by slociviccoupe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Doing my research online and thinking back to when i worked at sea ray boats. Can electrical conduit be implemented into the boat for running wires. Make running wires to the nav lights up front easier once boat is finished. also serve as some protection for the wires. Also can a carefully cut piece of pvc pipe be epoxied into the hull for drainage. Im doing the best I can to think of all possible problems that could occur as the boat ages. And Can the hull be fiberglassed on the inside lke it is on the outside. Is there a problem Doing this? glassing on both sides of the wood?

slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:10 pm

I know Im thread jacking but i guess better than starting a new thread. Looking at others dynojet builds and a few other boats. Looking at the floor. Is there any reason that the floor can't extend to the bow? as long as it is well sealed. I would like to do this and carpet it all the way to the bow. I guess you can do anything in the boat that you build.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:13 am

Conduit is fine...I made some for one of my TNT's out of copper tube I had,but pvc would work too....not a bad idea.

You could run a sole(floor) up to the bow and carpet it,but in your other posts you stated you expect 70MPH.

In order to run fast,one must keep the weight down.

I do have to admit I'm not a fan of carpet in boats though. :wink: :roll:

slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm

lights for night. anyone know of any through hull side mount lights for opperating at night for forward visability. Or basically putting flush mounted headlights say from a motorcycle into a boat. Or some sort of fog lights.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Some boats back in the 60's had some in hull white lights,but these were used only for docking.

The Coast Guard has regulations on what lights can be displayed on boats at night so you can ID what type and what direction the vessel is moving and who has right of way.

White "driving" lights may be illegal for constant use,and they destroy your night vision

slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:22 pm

thats true, been a while since ive been out on the water. just don't want to hit one of those unmarked pylons thats out in the river near me. I have to go renew my boaters license. Would it be wise to save the vin plate and title from the jet ski for registering the built boat. Or do the plans come with a number for each boat produced from a set of plans?

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:30 pm

there is more to it then this but in a nutshell you wil get a HIN issued to you when you go to register the boat. (HIN = hull identiification number)

slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:46 pm

so just keep reciepts of everything to proove that I built the boat and certain items are not stolen. Keep in mind Im from an automotive background and this is very common. Just don't want any problems when Im finished and want to take the boat out. marine patrol is tough in my area.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:10 pm

slociviccoupe wrote:so just keep reciepts of everything to proove that I built the boat and certain items are not stolen. Keep in mind Im from an automotive background and this is very common. Just don't want any problems when Im finished and want to take the boat out. marine patrol is tough in my area.
I havent done it yet but from what I hve read yes you will need reciepts to show you bought the materials to make your boat, paid any applicaible taxes, etc.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:09 am

Where are you from slo?

It would be nice to have that on your profile there on the side :wink:

slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 am

Im located down in Palm Bay Florida in Brevard County on the East coast.

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 am

upspirate wrote:Conduit is fine...I made some for one of my TNT's out of copper tube I had,but pvc would work too....not a bad idea.

You could run a sole(floor) up to the bow and carpet it,but in your other posts you stated you expect 70MPH.

In order to run fast,one must keep the weight down.

I do have to admit I'm not a fan of carpet in boats though. :wink: :roll:

I am not a carpet fan either, it's usually full of grease, sand the occasional fish hook, and holds moisture, and generally looks like a baboon's rear in a few years.

On the same line, conduit is a bad idea on so many levels.

According to the "Marine Engineer's Handbook" it is generally a bad idea in small craft. Metallic conduit should be just large enough to accommodate the insulated conductors, leaving little room for movement. The conduit needs threaded ends to prevent chaffing, and be fitted with "appropriate drainage." (whatever that is.) They go on to say it will hold moisture, and accelerate cable insulation degradation. (it's an ancient book, allot has changed in the insulation dept.)

From 46CFR1111 Electrical Code of Fed Regs, referencing marine cable and fittings. "Where conduit is installed, the applicable requirements of either the NEC or IEC 79 must be followed." (that code specifically deals with electrical components in zone 1 hazardous locations) a piece of PVC, or copper plumbing does not qualify as an acceptable component.

Maybe nothing, maybe your insurance company is like mine, and spent more time worried about wires than a 250hp fogger system. Seriously, they were completely insane, wanted docs supporting marine app components, had a fit about my automotive wires, and I had to spring for the marine type approved stuff.

There are pros and cons to conduit, but more cons than pros. Conduit is considered a viable flame path for vapor flash. Metallic conduit is a source of ignition. Eventually, any wire flapping away in a metallic pipe IS going to short. The question is when, and where, not if. Toss in the variable of arcing through an otherwise harmless crack in the insulation, through entrapped moisture, and it's just a bad idea on all fronts. Just think of a sealed compartment full of vapors, you run your fan, that is great, but the conduit is not going to vent all that well, the vapor makes a combustible path between compartments.

The mesh-nylon net type wire retainers are my favourite, second choice is spiraly hose stuff. (forget it's real name, but you know what I mean. Not enough coffee this AM.)
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:11 pm

wow, different angle on things. I was speaking of the grey plastic conduit. The conduit would run down the gunnwale and serve as support and a place to run wires to the bow for the nav lights. Another piece would go to the engine compartment for the ignition power wire, battery relay, bilge pump, blower, and any other electrical. Under the dash there would be the appropriate fuse pannel for all electrical circuits. And I would be using marine grade rocker switches and wire of the apropriate gauge for the draw through the circuit. I figured the plastic conduit would be better than securing the wires with the rubber insulated clamps or the plastic zip ties with the hole for a screw. and them possibly being chafed by the interior of the hull or a bulkhead. I used to be an electrician for sea ray. We used the plastic panduit to route the harness in the bildge. Also the corregated split tubing was put around the wires that were exposed to the elements or where chafing would occur. And all that secured the wires to the deck or bulkheads were the plastic tie wraps secured with a stainless screw.

slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Went to my local boat yard, looking for seadoo parts. Guy was very interested in what Im building. Showed him the glen-l site. He saw the boat and knew they existed, but didn't know if they were home designs or what. Well he is gonna order plans also. He thinks im nuts for putting a big bore 1050cc seadoo 951 engine in such a small boat. Lucky for me he used to work for seadoo r&d, so he has about 400 impellers that will fit my pump that I can tune the boat with. He is very interested in helping me tune the motor and get the best out of the boat. of course he wants rides. Then will do his own build with the ski's he has around the shop. Its amazing how much affect these little boats have on people. How quick the hobby spreads.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:23 pm

Wait til you build one....then the build another addiction sets in!!! :roll: :shock: :wink: :lol:

Return to “Jet Ski Power”