First time in water.

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mdriscoll

First time in water.

Post by mdriscoll » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:13 am

I have been working on my squirt for a 1-1/2 put it in the water Sunday to do the water test. I now know what bulding a boat is really about, the thrill of the first ride.
Imagehttp://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff12 ... age014.jpg[/IMG]ImageImage[/img]

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:53 am

Wow!!! :shock: Beautiful!!!
How did it run? :D

Drew

Post by Drew » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:09 am

Very Nice!!! Looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy the ride and enjoy all the compliments youll be getting!

DanH

Re: First time in water.

Post by DanH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:09 pm

mdriscoll wrote: I now know what bulding a boat is really about, the thrill of the first ride.
Bingo!

You will remember that day like any other memorable day in your life.

Congratulations on the beautiful boat.

Quick question after looking at the photos, shouldn't one of the air scoops point forward? I think you want air going in and out of the engine compartment.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Love to see more close ups & details....beautiful!! :D

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Come on now. Don't hold out on us.

We're gonna wanna see a lot more pictures of that boat. Especially since I'm building one right now.

It is a beautiful boat and you should be very proud.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:46 am

Sooooo Mannnny Questionsssssss......

Did you use a kawasaki drive train?
What size motor did you use?
How is the noise level?
What did you use for a exhaust thru hull?
How much of the pump is hanging out the back?
Did your boat come up on plane easy? porposing?
Is that a tach or speed gauge in the dash?
Any thoughts about a small windshield?
how did you hook the steering cable to the jetski steering cable?

Great build!!!!! Your boat looks awesome!
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

mdriscoll

Post by mdriscoll » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:02 am

marksa1458,
I used a kawasaki 750cc jet ski motor and pump. The noise is not too bad but alot louder than I hoped. I bought a 2 seater jet ski and was not able to fit in the exhaust, so I used a exaust system off of a stand up jet ski. I used a standard brass through hull fitting. I will post a picture of the exhaust set up.
the pump is off the back about a foot. The boat planes very easly but I have some pump cavatation probles to overcome, once flow is established there is alot of power.
That is a tach on the dash along with a fuel gauge. I used a teleflex rack system for steering along with the stock cable off the jet ski. the connection was simple I drilled the end on the teleflex to accept the stock cable.
I am not finished with the boat and do have plans for a windshield. The interior has no seats That is my next step.
Thanks for asking.

mdriscoll

Post by mdriscoll » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:57 am

Pictures of exhaust and motor

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 pm

Have you hooked the tach up? I have been working on this for a couple of weeks with no luck so far - Where did you pick up the signal?

Brass thru hull looks great - Is it the same diameter as the exhaust rubber pipe? I looked for ages and couldn't find anything, finally had a buddy weld up stainless steel.

or

mdriscoll

Post by mdriscoll » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:05 pm

marksa1458
I was lucky the jet ski I used had a tach. I used the power, ground and the brown wire that is wired to the generator. the problem i had was that the new tach has settings which is good the hard part was nobody could tell me how many poles the generator had. I found out finally that I had eight. Set the tach to 8P and it worked. I verified with a non contact tach and it was right on.
The thru hull fitting is 1-1/2" my exhaust is 2" I made a reducer for the hose right before the hull. I am not that concerned about restriction due to it is after the water box. Maybe I should?
You ave a good lookin boat and a great web site.
is your pump completly under water mine is not, I may need to weigh the stern down?

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:43 pm

I tried using the brown wires routed to the motor with no luck, although my ski had no tach. I did have the tach set to 2p, I will have to try again.... I have more time invested with the silly tach than anything else...

The impellar portion of the pump is under the boat, just the nozzle hangs off the back. I used a drive shaft from a Kawasaki TS to shorten things up a bunch - worked really well.

I don't think you will have any issue reducing the exhaust by a 1/2 inch -

You may want to do a search concerning porpoising, there has been a lot of discussion regarding this subject. You may be able to just change the grate on the bottom to have more of a scoop to feed water into the pump. www.pwctoday.com has some great information regarding these skis.

or

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:24 am

Hi mdriscoll,
Your squirt looks really nice! Glad to see another jet ski based weapon out on a lake.

I initially had some cavitation problems taking off in my Dyno-Jet. I did two things at the same time and I am not 100% sure which solved it.

First I replaced the standard intake grate with a scoop grate. At the same time I removed the pump and sealed the area between the pump and the pump housing with an enormous amount of silicone sealant.

I am pretty sure that my problem was solved with the sealant. After more investigation I found that there was a lot of air being sucked in around the back of the pump. This happened when the boat was starting to come onto the plane and the transom would come clear of the water. Air was then sucked into the pump from the transom and the boat struggled to get properly onto the plane. One up on the plane the problem seemed to go away and the boat moved OK.

Once the sealant was in the boat now jumps onto the plane like there is no tomorrow and turns and accelarates really well. Could'nt be happier (except maybe with a 750 in her).

Gordon
Gordon
Tasmania, Australia

steve crawford

Welcome to the Mod-Squad

Post by steve crawford » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:52 am

Good looking boat and welcome to the ultimate faturnity of mod-boat-building. Some procrastinate and others Do-It.

I can see a round thing off the side of the exhaust with one of the steering cables coming out the back what is that?

And also what is the speed the 750 puts out.

Show some transome and pump intake hull pics.

Ausome job ........................

steveduhamel65

Boat

Post by steveduhamel65 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Wow that is a great looking boat im building a thunderbolt hope it looks as good as that good job.
steveduhamel

Return to “Jet Ski Power”