jet pump/electric motor

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

upspirate

jet pump/electric motor

Post by upspirate » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:47 am

Ok Caber & anyone else familiar with pumps.

I was talking with Bill Edmundson about the feasibility of using a jet ski pump with a golf cart motor on a slow speed application such as a Tubby Tug.

Will this work? I know you would maybe have to have a rudder to help with steering,but just wondered if the motor should work with the pump. :idea: :?:

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Pirate,

My fluid mechanics engineer training tells me that the most likely answer to your question is "not well". Jet ski pumps are direct drive from the engine, and thus turn in the 3-5000 rpm range. I don't know the speed of a golf cart motor, but I'm guessing its' much less than that. You will be running way off the thrust/flow design point of the pump.

That being said, my jet squirt DOES move forward ar about a fast walking pace when the engine is idling (about 800 RPM). Ergo, it might work for the tubby tug, if that's what you want it to do. I doubt you get it up on a plane, though. Caber might have more thoughts...

Peace,

TRM

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks Terry,

Bill was thinking of a retractable prop hooked to a golf cart motor for parades I guess & an outboard to push it faster when needed.

I thought a jet pump for the low speed stuff might work so you wouldn't need to retract.

I'm sure we will get it figured out at The Gathering,esp as the keg gets empty!!!! :wink: :roll: :shock:

Return to “Jet Ski Power”