To Graft or not to Graft,that is the question!

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

upspirate

To Graft or not to Graft,that is the question!

Post by upspirate » Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 pm

To those that have built these Jet-Ski / Waverunner hybrids,

would you graft in the tunnel section or build your own if you had it to do over again?

Also what would you do different ?

Is one brand/model or another better/easier to utilize?

marksa1458

Re: To Graft or not to Graft,that is the question!

Post by marksa1458 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:09 am

I grafted - It was easy and it took a lot of the guesswork out of engine location, alignment and I didn't have to worry about engineering a pum mount.

Biggest pain was getting the grafted peice out of the donor ski - If I was doing it again, would probably look at the seadoo setup (like a mid 90's model sp) Easy to get out, no foam. Some of these even had reverse...
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

DavidStreeter

Post by DavidStreeter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:02 pm

I built one of these and found the easyest way for me was to cut out the under side if the ski with all mountings intact and graft it in place. The boat ended up at 11'4" and the seating is a little tight but it handles real well and will ru up to 50 MPH with the gps.
Here is a link to my build pictures on google. Not sure it will work this way.
I have finally gotten to covering the top with strip mahogany this past week. I hated taking it out of use to do it, but it is such a cool boat it really deserves a good finish.
http://picasaweb.google.com/streeter.da ... directlink

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:46 am

Thats a neat job that you did on your grafting for the boat. I am not sure when you submitted the pictures, but the folks at Glen-L have been pretty active on computer issues in general. Maybe the pictures will still appear as they are continuing to solicit shots on a daily basis and even have a thread about it in misc. Welcome aboard!.

For reference..

It actually worked I see. :wink: :) Great work and nice pictorial documentation.

http://glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5714

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:29 pm

I grafted mine and found it to be a fairly easy installation by making templates out of 1/4" luan first. That being said, it has not been in the water yet. My website covers the install.

I used the SeaDoo SP - 92 model. Not because of proper planning, just because of dumb luck. The price was right and it had a fresh rebuild. Turns out it was a pretty good choice. There is foam in this model however not too much. I chose to graft because of my fear of not getting the alignment perfect. A friend down the dock rebuilt his SeaDoo himself and never got the alignment right. It vibrates badly and there is no telling what kind of problems will arrive this season.

I set the entire assembly as far aft as I could which created a good bit more room than others have reported. I am 6'3" so I needed all the room I could get.

To answer your question, I would do it the exact same way again. I would just buy a model that already had reverse rather than adding it after the fact.

Hopefully we'll all see how it performs at Guntersville.

Good Luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:17 am

Can't wait to see it.

Tunahelper has a unit cut out of a Waverunner ,Not sure what model, but I think he cut it just forward of the pump with no engine mounts.

I had it at the first Gathering for sale,but we never established a swap-meet.

It has the reverse bucket.

I may use it in a future build.

That's why I wondered which way to go :? :roll: :wink:

wwamann

Post by wwamann » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:08 am

I'm putting a jet into a Zip, haven't worked out all the details yet.

Will build my own tunnel , not sure how, never done one, maybe thats why i'm foolish enough to attempt it.

Not worried about pulling out my hair, don't have any left. :shock:

Haven't decided on power plant yet , probably not jet ski motor. can't start building boat till I get power plant / jet specs & dimensions.

It should be alot of fun. :D

Waren

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Waren,

I built my own jet intake - I don't know if it would have been easier to graft - I just wanted to take on the challenge of "doing it all". The question of how to do this came up a while ago, and I posted some picture on how I did it. Take a look at the "jet ski inlet" thread - I put a "reply" on it to get it to the top of the topic.

Peace,

TRM

wwamann

Post by wwamann » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 am

TRM

Thanks

I've got all, or most, of my (boat) stuff in one bag now all i have to do is take it out and figure out how to do it.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

There will be more question soon. :|

Waren

Return to “Jet Ski Power”