Squirt with Seadoo motor in Gentleman Racer layout

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

radioactive69

Squirt with Seadoo motor in Gentleman Racer layout

Post by radioactive69 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:27 am

I've seen several on her have extended the Squirt hull to use a Kawasaki or Seadoo motor. It looks like the motor and jet drive take up quite a bit of room requiring the hull to be lengthened and the jet pump to hang out the back quite a ways.
I've got a Seadoo explorer (rigid inflatable) and it has a rather long driveline. Any thoughts on keeping the hull 10', mounting the pump well within the hull and moving the cockpit to the rear?
This would result in a "Gentleman Racer" style boat with the engine forward. I've ordered the Squirt plans and I'll be taking motor/driveline measurement from the Seadoo this weekend.

upspirate

Re: Squirt with Seadoo motor in Gentleman Racer layout

Post by upspirate » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 am

Welcome,

I've thought about doing this same thing with a Tiny Might.

The two problems I could see doing this with the Squirt is the Squirt is a tiny boat, and there may not be enough width to seat two at the transom.

The other is the Squirt hull may not be wide enough at the transom to support the weight of two adults sitting aft

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:03 pm

I building the Squirt with a Seadoo.

Warren is right. It is a small boat. My website has many pictures of the build where you can tell exactly how little room you have with the engine installed. You definitely could not have the engine down the centerline and seating on each side - not enough room. I don't see how you could move the engine forward and safely sit two in the rear of that particular design. I'm 200 pounds. Figure two average people in the rear and call it 300 lbs. That is simply too much weight in the rear of that boat with its narrow transom.

Also, if you move the drivetrain forward, I worry that once you are on plane, the pickup for the jet pump would be too far forward and you'd be sucking a lot of air resulting in extremely poor performance.

Just my thoughts. But I would look more along the lines of the Flying Saucer as a gentlemans racer. It seems like it would work much better.

Good luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:09 am

BulldogBoater wrote:I building the Squirt with a Seadoo.

Also, if you move the drivetrain forward, I worry that once you are on plane, the pickup for the jet pump would be too far forward and you'd be sucking a lot of air resulting in extremely poor performance.

J

Good luck,

KB
Not sure KB, But I think the model he's talking about has the pump aft,and a long shaft type arrangement to put the engine farther forward
Than a normal jetski/waverunner.

Here's one on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-SEA ... Motorboats

radioactive69

Post by radioactive69 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:44 am

I'm planning on using it as a dingy, so I'm limited to a 11' LOA. Looks like I'll be going with an OB.

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:25 pm

I also considered this when I did my jet squirt, and as the others have said, I came to the conclusion that it won't work. The pump inlet takes up about 8" wide by 8" high by the time everything gets fit in place, so you either have to sit on top of it (which only gives you about 6" of depth from the bottom of any seat sushion to the deck) or beside it (which leaves about a foot from the jet inlet to the coaming - and unless you really have one skinny butt that's not going to work either - worse than a coach airplane seat!)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's the way it is...

My little jet is now en-route to Ohio (where my grandkids live) and I'm thinking about building another boat, and in the "Gentleman's Racer" configuration. A couple of options - like Warren, I think the Tiny Mite might have possibilities, stretched to 13 feet, maybe with a Yamaha 4 cylinder 4 stoke turbo. Another option is to simply "scale up" a Squirt by 30%(I really do like her lines). This would likely mean some engineering, as the frames would be too far apart, and one or two frames would need to be designed and added to the structure.

Warren, if you have any thoughts on the Tiny Might option, I'd love to hear about them...

Peace,

TRM

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:33 pm

I just thought that there might be enough room to sit on or next to the tunnel,but never pursued more than a thought and that the Tiny Might might be easier to fit in cause it's bigger.

Isn't a Zip or Saucer a scaled up Squirt basically?(or they are all similar designs....not sure which came first)

gwmichie

Post by gwmichie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:28 am

ive been following this thread, very interesting discussion. a lil mini gentlemans racer would be a great looking boat. im in austin texas and this time of year they are just about giving away PWC. could be a great winter project. what about a crackerbox frame. seems like it might be the perfect fit??

gw

Return to “Jet Ski Power”