Fiberglass on a squirt

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

heliguy02

Fiberglass on a squirt

Post by heliguy02 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:20 am

Hello everyone,
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, sorry if it is not this is my first post.
I am building a modified version on the squirt with jetski power and I am almost ready to start the fiberglass work. I was wondering if one layer of fiberglass cloth is enough?
I am using POXY-SHIELD epoxy. Also is 7 oz cloth what I need to use.
Thanks,
Tony

terrymc

Re: Fiberglass on a squirt

Post by terrymc » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:35 am

Tony,

One layer is fine - the strength of the boat is all in the plywood - the fiberglass is just ther for water protection and abrasion resistance. My jet squirt has one layer of 8 oz fabric, with 3"wide glass tape on the seams. The one area that I did put multiple layers on is on the stem, right where you might pull the boat up on a beach - this is the primary "wear area". I DO strongly reccomend that you completely encapsulate the structure - minimum of 2 coats of epoxy (no glass) on the inside of the hull.

What enginer/pump combo are you using?

There are getting to be quite a few jet squirts out there - always interesting to see how others put them together...

Peace,

TRM

heliguy02

Post by heliguy02 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 am

TRM,
Thanks for the reply. I am going to completely encapsulate the structure. One layer. Thats good. I will use multiple layers in the middle. Thats a good idea.
I am using a Yamaha 1100 engine and pump.
The engine will be in the middle/front. The drivers compartment will be all the way in the back. It actually is not really a squirt, but I tried to make it look as close to one as possible.
Thnaks again for the helpfull info.
-Tony

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:00 pm

Sounds like some others we have discussed the possibility of building(Squirt/Tiny Might as a gentleman's racer with front engine/rear cockpit)

Post some pics and/or a link to pics and keep us informed as to progress and how it all works out.

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 pm

There are lots of guys here that would be interested in seeing pictures of your set up and construction.

What length is your boat? 1300 cc and that boat will be INSANE! Love to see it...

Good luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

heliguy02

Post by heliguy02 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:34 pm

I was hoping to get some pictuyres on info from someone else who has been building a boat like this.
I leaving tomorrow for vacation to Puerto Rico for two weeks. I will post some pictures when I get back.
-Tony

Return to “Jet Ski Power”