How to title a Jet boat?

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

carrera1984

How to title a Jet boat?

Post by carrera1984 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:49 pm

There is two ways I can think of titling a jetboat homemade. The first, go through the long process showing you bought everything and getting an official assembled watercraft title. And the second being, using your PWC donner title. I realize this is not the proper way of doing it, but i'm betting a lot of people do it because its well, cheap and easy. I'm just deciding now how to do it because Ive done this before building a dune buggy and it was a pain in the butt doing it the assembled title way. Thoughts?

,Ryan

Oyster

Re: How to title a Jet boat?

Post by Oyster » Tue May 04, 2010 4:54 am

carrera1984 wrote:There is two ways I can think of titling a jetboat homemade. The first, go through the long process showing you bought everything and getting an official assembled watercraft title. And the second being, using your PWC donner title. I realize this is not the proper way of doing it, but i'm betting a lot of people do it because its well, cheap and easy. I'm just deciding now how to do it because Ive done this before building a dune buggy and it was a pain in the butt doing it the assembled title way. Thoughts?

,Ryan
Well each location seems to have different rules on titling of new hulls. If the boat is a production built boat, there is an assigned code that goes with it and will probably not work for what you would like to do. There is nothing wrong with asking the right officials. If you get stopped by someone on the water that is seasoned and picky, they will notice for sure. While titling is a pain in some regions, its important sometimes to jump through the hoops. :wink:

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:30 am

Depends on your location - For Massachusetts you can't register a boat unless you have a HIN (hull identification number). For the most part getting the HIN was fairly easy, you have to get a notorized document stating that the boat is homemade and where it was built - then set up an appointment with the Environmental Police. The officer I dealt with was friendly and gave me some suggestions to improve the safety of my boat - although the suggestion were optional, I tried to implement the ones that I could. He then through a sticker on the transom and put a second sticker "hidden" on the boat.

I think it is worth it to go through the process - If my boat is ever stolen then I feel I have a better chance of recovery -

Registering the boat was much more difficult - Essentially they made me pay a made up sales tax amount based on what the materials cost to build it, which is essentially BS, because I paid taxes on all the materials as I purchased (except for the misc stuff I purchased online) But, in the interest of getting on with my life, it was easier to just pay the man....
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Tue May 04, 2010 6:09 am

California only requires that we submit all receipts to the DMV during registration, as evidence that we're not registering a stolen hull. I didn't even have to bring the boat in, although I did have photos. They copied all receipts, told me it was a cool project, and lightened my wallet by $19.00.

I would be reluctant to transfer the PWC's hull ID to a homebuilt boat. It just sounds like a good way to get your boat impounded until things got sorted out. Some things just need to be done by the book.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Tue May 04, 2010 6:31 pm

If you add your location to your profile it might help forum guys assist you. Every state or country it seems is different. Some states don't even issue titles for boats as my home state - Georgia - does not. Save receipts and the donor title, they might want it. An inspections will most likely be involved and a HIN assignment before a title will be issued.

Good luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Here in MN using the HIN from the PWC would definitely get you a ride to the shore in the sheriff's boat.

About the time you are half way through explaining why the ID number is coming back to a PWC, and you are not in a PWC it is going to get unhappy. Besides, if the HIN comes back to a PWC, it is likely they will expect you to obey PWC rules, regardless of what the hull actually is. That means no after sunset, no before 9:00 AM, not to mention all the shoreline, and proximity rules. The hull might not be a PWC, but getting it into the courtroom to prove that to the judge will be a lesson in creative parking. :wink:
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm

As a guy who has actually done this, I gota say that I'm with Caber. Simply stated, "Why not do it right and legal?" Having a HIN that doesn't match what's on you boat is a recipie for no end of problems. I went in to the California DMV with my recipts (including those fromj the donor jet ski) and it was maybe 10 nmintues an $19 to make verything right and legal. Seem sto me that doing anything else is nothing short of stupid...

Peace,

TRM

Return to “Jet Ski Power”