Gathering 2010: What Boats Are Coming To G4(Comments)

vupilot

Re: Gathering 2010: What Boats Are Coming To G4(Comments)

Postby vupilot » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:17 am

DaveLott wrote:Are we becoming the Sturgis of home built boats? :D

I prefer the Oshkosh of homebuilt boats. More accurately the early days when it was actually held in Rockford and the numbers were just like what we have. Now that event has grown to 500,000 people a year and started just like us. We have lots of room to grow.

Getting a publication like woodenboat to cover the event would be fantastic. This would be a good year for it, lots of variety. It would make a great story. I think it might be better if we as a group invite them, they may look at glen-l inviting them as a way to get free marketing for a business.

Should we all send an email to woodenboat?

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:41 am

Good analogy
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 am

Good idea Chris...I'll send an email too.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

kens

Postby kens » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Oyster wrote:Gayle should send a note to wooden boat and "gently" tell them to cover the group. :wink: Its something thats completely different for a change with the magazine too.

Already been done over a year ago, I know. Woodenboat seems to have a different outlook than we do.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:18 pm

If the magazine management is anything like many of the builders on their forum then they do indeed have a different outlook. I totally abandon the forum because of their elitist and condescending attitude towards anyone that DARE build a boat in a way strays in anyway from what they consider "traditional boatbuilding".

Whole different dynamic here where you don't have to worry about asking ANY question or mentioning something that is not conventional.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm glad somebody wants to preserve the old ways. I don't have the tools, abilities and time to do it.

I think we can build every bit as good of a boat, maybe better, for real use. Certainly! I love the craftsmanship that I see in others work. That is both here and there.

I'll bet they don't have the fun we do.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:36 pm

raymacke wrote:If the magazine management is anything like many of the builders on their forum then they do indeed have a different outlook. I totally abandon the forum because of their elitist and condescending attitude towards anyone that DARE build a boat in a way strays in anyway from what they consider "traditional boatbuilding".

Whole different dynamic here where you don't have to worry about asking ANY question or mentioning something that is not conventional.

LOL! You are correct. My builds seems to send them off their rant charts. HEHE! I rarely visit now too. But lately the magazine has attempted to breakaway from the usual with their recent editions and the selection of a pretty radical pioneer of hybrid epoxy builds to teach several classes too after winning their co-sponsored design contest. With the builds here, I think there are huge advantages which includes the reality that we live in a world of trailable boats now and the nitch is filled with this site, IMO. We for sure get more pound of flesh in the area of use for the dollars invested too.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:41 pm

raymacke wrote:

The most dangerous thing a person can say is "we've always done it that way". It locks out the ability to learn or see different points of view. Different from "the way it always has been done" doesn't necessarily make it wrong. However, the tried and true methods of the old ways should not be ignored.

There is room for all of us.

I sent a note to Carl, the editor, today. Let's see if he responds.

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Why don't we start our own magazine? I'm sure Dave Lott could handle it in his spare time. :wink: :lol:
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm

I am too busy chasing armidillos with a club and working on Midnight II.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Dave sucessfull marketing is about catering to the masses which keeps everything afloat so to speak. We read all the time on boat forums about getting insurance and in the case of larger hulls boat slips. In the u.S, there are really few and far between boat slips and marinas now that accept these types of hulls without huge liability policies too.

Who in the world would take on projects like this and why would you do so if after spending fifty grand and posssibly more you got a boat that is not worth five grand if you are lucky to find a buyer.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Well, some people have more $$$ than sense

Another question to your answer: why do you think I chose to build rather than restore?
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:34 pm

That's why I decided to build rather than restore too!!!

(I know me :oops: :wink: )

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Just so you know, Woodenboat doesn't do events--I just got off the phone with Matt Murphy in Editorials. They've found that with travel expenses, it doesn't make sense for them and doesn't make for very good editorials either. Apparantly someone else talked to him this morning about G4, so thanks whoever that was!

Hey Bill, maybe we could get the guys from Boatbuilder's Journal to cover our event :lol:

John B

Postby John B » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Gayle Brantuk wrote:
Hey Bill, maybe we could get the guys from Boatbuilder's Journal to cover our event :lol:

Seems to me "Psychology Today" might be a better fit.... :lol:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

Return to “Gathering 2010”