Gathering 2010: What Boats Are Coming To G4(Comments)

Bill Edmundson

Re: Gathering 2010: What Boats Are Coming To G4(Comments)

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Gayle
Hey Bill, maybe we could get the guys from Boatbuilder's Journal to cover our event :lol:

Do you think they would publish it before G6 :?:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Gayle Brantuk wrote:Just so you know, Woodenboat doesn't do events--I just got off the phone with Matt Murphy in Editorials. They've found that with travel expenses, it doesn't make sense for them and doesn't make for very good editorials either. Apparantly someone else talked to him this morning about G4, so thanks whoever that was!

Hey Bill, maybe we could get the guys from Boatbuilder's Journal to cover our event :lol:

I sent a very lengthy note to Carl, the editor, but no response.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

kens

Postby kens » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

After Gayle & I spoke with Woodenboat 2 years ago, plus the comments this year; Woodenboat aint coming to see our event. Period.
However, I had the notion that we can submit an article to them just as we submit a article to Glen-L for the newsletter; we can submit articles to Woodenboat. (whether or not they choose to publish it is another thing, it's thier magazine)
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:02 pm

This is the response I received today.

dave

Dear David--
Carl Cramer forwarded your e-mail regarding the upcoming Glen-L rendezvous. We generally don't publish feature articles on gatherings and events, as our bimonthly schedule doesn't allow timely treatment (we plan about a year in advance) and gatherings themselves generally don't make for very compelling narrative. We do, however, use shows and gatherings as places to gather and refine ideas for feature articles, and we're always open to good, well constructed proposals and suggestions. At the moment, we're especially looking for boats for our annual Small Boats editions. If you have any particular suggestions for this, we'd love to hear them.

We do publish notices in our Calendar of events, and were able to squeeze in the Glen-L rendezvous after deadline for the September issue, which is printing now.

Best regards--

Matt Murphy

--
Matt Murphy
Editor, WoodenBoat
PO Box 78
Brooklin, ME 04616
207-359-4651
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:49 am

That is sooo darn kewl man!!!! Yawl are gunna have a great time!!!

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Glad you'll be coming Terrymc..WOW,two jet squirts!!! :shock: :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Terry

Great that you can work it out :!:

S... This is getting Way Too Cool :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:44 pm

If there are two guys that have the same of anything arent they required to race? "State Law, I swear to gawd it is"--Donnie Baker.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:27 pm

If there are 2 boats, You have a RACE!
At least, that is the rule in sailing!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

v-driver

Postby v-driver » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:31 pm

At least, that is the rule in sailing!

What's that? :lol:
Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to getting there and meeting y'all after all these years of this forum. I'll be towing the jet squirt down from Ohio on Friday, so whither I get to the gathering for Friday evening or not depends on the time I make. For a couple of years in the early '90's I worked in Huntsville AL and my wife and kids lived in Clevland, and I drove home on weekends, so I know the drive pretty well.

Relative to the "race" thing, the boat will be there, but I don't know if I will be able to put it in the water or not. When I left it in Ohio with my daughter we changed the registration to her name, and she is having insurance troubles with it. Out here in California, we just put it under my personal umbrella policy - no problems. But her insurance company (State Farm) is telling her that they won't insure a home built boat without a full marine survey. I'll be in Ohio next week and I'm going to try to get the survey done at that time, but we'll see how it goes...

Anybody else had this kind of probelm?

BTW, jet squirts are SCARY fast. I backed off the throttle with myself and the two grandkids in the boat with the pitot speedo showing 44 MPH! Thats F-A-S-T in an 11 ft boat.

PEace,

TRM

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Terry

I'm looking forward to meeting you! Your input has been so valuable to many here!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:19 pm

they won't insure a home built boat without a full marine survey

Terry , may I make make a suggestion - Call and ask agent to check to see if you can get a "statement of condition" from a local boat dealer rather than a full survey. I would tell them you feel the cost for a survey is excessive for a boat this size and value. A dealer can inspect the boat and give a statement as to its sea worthiness and make and approximation of the value. On a large craft a full survey is necessary because of the complication but on a small boat a Statement of Condition should be acceptable - works for State Farm in Illinois but maybe not in Ohio.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

thudpucker

Postby thudpucker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 am

What happens if I don't get my little wooden boat built in time for the G-4? :oops:
The only other boat I have to bring is a Tin boat. How else can I take some young guys out to show them how to Cat Fish? :? :wink:

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 am

Wellllll, ifffff you reaaaaaaalllly have to.

There are some things important in raising up the young -uns. Fishing is one of the more important one; in more ways than I can count. :) Bring the tin boat and we will turn an eye - this time!!!!
Last edited by DaveLott on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Return to “Gathering 2010”