Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: GATHERING EVENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 am 

TALKED TO GAYLE AT GLEN-L YESTERDAY AND WE CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF HAVING SPEED RUNS IN OUR BOATS BY TYPE OF BOAT THEN BREAK DOWN CATEGORIES BY ENGINE SIZE AND AGE OF ENGINE. FOR INSTANCE WE COULD HAVE ZIP 25 HP, 35HP, 45 HP THEN BREAK DOWN BY AGE OF ENGINE-- NEW , VINTAGE , ANTIQUE ETC. WHO EVER HAD THE FAST TIME WE COULD POST ON OUR WEB SITE AND IT WOULD STAND TILL NEXT GATHERING. WE COULD HAVE EVERYBODY WINNING AN HAVE A GREAT TIME AND SOME PEOPLE MAKE COME NEXT YEAR JUST TO RUN.

BUDDY SLACK

Post subject: Re: GATHERING EVENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:52 pm 

chipper363 wrote:
TALKED TO GAYLE AT GLEN-L YESTERDAY AND WE CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF HAVING SPEED RUNS IN OUR BOATS BY TYPE OF BOAT THEN BREAK DOWN CATEGORIES BY ENGINE SIZE AND AGE OF ENGINE. FOR INSTANCE WE COULD HAVE ZIP 25 HP, 35HP, 45 HP THEN BREAK DOWN BY AGE OF ENGINE-- NEW , VINTAGE , ANTIQUE ETC. WHO EVER HAD THE FAST TIME WE COULD POST ON OUR WEB SITE AND IT WOULD STAND TILL NEXT GATHERING. WE COULD HAVE EVERYBODY WINNING AN HAVE A GREAT TIME AND SOME PEOPLE MAKE COME NEXT YEAR JUST TO RUN.

BUDDY SLACK

We? Interesting since Gayle has already won hands down. So we took a vote and decided that organized racing was off limits. You may also not be aware also that while there is a large group of boaters gathering together on the same weekend and same body of water, this is not some formal gathering with bowties and starched pants. Everyone have already won by just getting there even though numerous folks will be without a boat on the water but still share the common bond.

I do not know of any circumstances that applies to this gathering that allows reckless operations in close quarters. All local laws pertaining to the safe operation applies , encouraged and supported and each and every single person is responsible for their actions both on the water and ashore.

Along those lines when in this group setting, no matter how loosely affiliated the get together is with Glen l, at the end of the day Glen L will be known for any and all infractions and the host operation will remember any and all infractions not that one individual or a small group was involved but the Glen L group.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
I love powerboat races,esp drag boats, but this event is more or less just for viewing and showing others what these boats are and how they ride, also the social camaraderie that we enjoy on the forum only in person.

No one "sponsors" this event,so if there was a "competition" and there was a mishap,there would be liability issues that we don't want to get into.

There was a problem with two hydros colliding at a Fla Chapter AOMCI meet at the Suwanee river 2 months ago that has them rethinking some of the running practices,but even that is a different kind of event.

There would be the issue of safety standards and equipment too...this issue came up after that AOMCI mishap too for future meets with them.

As Oyster says,we have worked hard to find a place and facility that will support our 'event" and don't want to stir the pot and get kicked out of anywhere

Ours is just for fun,and we are keeping it simple.

However....there is nothing that I can see from stopping two people that have similar boats from driving in the same direction at top speed....maybe on the other side of the lake for fun!!!! :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm 

FIRST, SORRY ABOUT MY ENGLISH IN FIRST POST HIT SUBMIT INSTEAD OF PREVIEW. WAS NOT THINKING OF ANY BOATS SIDE BY SIDE ON WATER. JUST REPORTING YOUR SPEED (HONOR SYSTEM). THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND I AGREE WE ARE ALL WINNERS .

BUDDY SLACK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:01 pm 
Buddy, I love your boat,looking forward to seeing you and it and maybe a ride?
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:27 pm 

Buddy

We hope no offense is taken. Over the last 5 years, lots of thought has been put into this. And, I hope it doesn't come across too rough :twisted: !

We just want to continue the fun.

Looking forward to meeting you. You never know... You may get an award! :roll:

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm 

I took what Buddy said to mean that it was a way for Glen-L and us who use the forum, to respond to inquirers, as an opportunity to gather and submit data about the boats' performance in real world conditions. When the inevitable questions come from newbie's we have more data about more boats in the "how fast" section of this site to refer them to. Nobody said anything about race or competition. If you accurately know what your boats speed is submit it so others interested in the same design will be able to find the info on this site.

GlenL Utility
https://plus.google.com/photos/11285674 ... banner=pwa

Last edited by vupilot on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:54 pm 
I was wondering the same thing after thinking some more....maybe anyone that wanted to do this,could go to a section of the lake away from everyone else and make a GPS run with an observer for data purposes,but no awards.

Another boat should be in the area for safety too and all precautions taken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:07 pm 

chipper363 wrote:
FIRST, SORRY ABOUT MY ENGLISH IN FIRST POST HIT SUBMIT INSTEAD OF PREVIEW. WAS NOT THINKING OF ANY BOATS SIDE BY SIDE ON WATER. JUST REPORTING YOUR SPEED (HONOR SYSTEM). THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND I AGREE WE ARE ALL WINNERS .

BUDDY SLACK

For a followup, on occasions the need arises to not only address the general topic but to expand on it for reasons unknown to the original poster and follow up respondents. Rest assured there was no ill will intended. Of course the monkey falls on the one of us assigned to watch the perimeter between the commercials on Opra and eating bonbons. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]