I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

User avatar
Pirate's Wench
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Contact:

I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Pirate's Wench » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:55 pm

and I thought, "how bad could it be to hang out with a bunch of boat builders showing off their boats for a couple days?" I had no idea it would become one of our most anticipated, enjoyable adventures. And it's such a thrill to see our "Glen-L Family" grow year after year. I really enjoyed seeing everyone and all the great boats. We will definitely have our skiff there next year, hopefully well christened with fish blood. :)

We had a great time. Thank you to everyone who provided the great food and helped with prep and clean up. Also a big thanks to everyone who contributed to the music, especially Dave who fulfilled most every request for the impromptu sing-a-long, and to Keith for introducing me to dulcimer music as he played so beautifully. We are fortunate to have such talented musicians amongst us. We welcome anyone to bring their instruments and join in. The more, the merrier. :D

A very special thank you to "Admiral Bill" and "Lola" for stepping up to the plate that first year and continuing to oversee the event.

:)
Debbie
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Nashville, Tn.

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Debbie! It's great to see you're now a member of the forum. I love the avatar. It's very apropos. So we've got a lot planned for the music at next year's G5, folks. But Debbie and I are keeping it a little under wraps for now. But anyone that wants to come to a sing-a-long is going to have the dreams fulfilled at G5. :D It will be the best Sing-a-long ever!
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

User avatar
Pirate's Wench
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Contact:

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Pirate's Wench » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Dave Grason wrote:Debbie! It's great to see you're now a member of the forum. I love the avatar. It's very apropos. So we've got a lot planned for the music at next year's G5, folks. But Debbie and I are keeping it a little under wraps for now. But anyone that wants to come to a sing-a-long is going to have the dreams fulfilled at G5. :D It will be the best Sing-a-long ever!

Thanks Dave. Pirate's been after me to get on here so I decided it was time. We compromised on the Avatar. He wanted a Mermaid, I wanted a guitar. :lol:

Yes, everyone will have a great music experience at G5. I can't wait! :D
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

User avatar
thudpucker
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: Cullman AL

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby thudpucker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:03 am

That sing along was pretty good. I'll bet it's a lot better next year.
They wouldn't let me sing any of my Boy Scout marching songs though. :?
I'll just have to bring some words on paper for next year.
We'll put out a list of suggested "tchunes" so people can be ready for Dave's Music.

User avatar
psychobilly
Posts: 965
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 am
Location: Tomball, TX

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby psychobilly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 am

Pirate's Wench wrote:Yes, everyone will have a great music experience at G5. I can't wait! :D


well, the million dollar question, where's it gunna be held?!?!

User avatar
Pirate's Wench
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Contact:

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Pirate's Wench » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:59 am

thudpucker wrote:That sing along was pretty good. I'll bet it's a lot better next year.
They wouldn't let me sing any of my Boy Scout marching songs though. :?
I'll just have to bring some words on paper for next year.
We'll put out a list of suggested "tchunes" so people can be ready for Dave's Music.

I can't believe we left out the Boy Scout marching songs. :cry:
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

User avatar
Pirate's Wench
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Contact:

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Pirate's Wench » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 am

psychobilly wrote:
Pirate's Wench wrote:Yes, everyone will have a great music experience at G5. I can't wait! :D


well, the million dollar question, where's it gunna be held?!?!

I vote for Keith's boat, wherever that is. :lol:
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Nashville, Tn.

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:26 am

Pirate's Wench wrote:and I thought, "how bad could it be to hang out with a bunch of boat builders showing off their boats for a couple days?" I had no idea it would become one of our most anticipated, enjoyable adventures.


One of the reasons, among MANY reasons, that this event is so enjoyable is due to the fact that there are no snobs in our ranks. It takes humility to build a boat and then show that boat off regardless of whether the boat is well done, cheaply done or otherwise. The people that do these things are way more concerned with the actual build processes than having some kind of a uppity social club. Therefore, the elitism of other events is missing in this group.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

User avatar
Pirate's Wench
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Contact:

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Pirate's Wench » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 am

Dave Grason wrote:One of the reasons, among MANY reasons, that this event is so enjoyable is due to the fact that there are no snobs in our ranks. It takes humility to build a boat and then show that boat off regardless of whether the boat is well done, cheaply done or otherwise. The people that do these things are way more concerned with the actual build processes than having some kind of a uppity social club. Therefore, the elitism of other events is missing in this group.

Yep, I totally agree. Pirate always posts pics of our goof ups to maybe keep someone else from making the same mistakes. The tone for the Gatherings has definitely been set on this forum. Boat builders encouraging and helping each other. Boat builders are some great people. That's a fact. :)
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

User avatar
DaveLott
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby DaveLott » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:02 am

Pirate's Wench wrote:
Dave Grason wrote:One of the reasons, among MANY reasons, that this event is so enjoyable is due to the fact that there are no snobs in our ranks. It takes humility to build a boat and then show that boat off regardless of whether the boat is well done, cheaply done or otherwise. The people that do these things are way more concerned with the actual build processes than having some kind of a uppity social club. Therefore, the elitism of other events is missing in this group.

Yep, I totally agree. Pirate always posts pics of our goof ups to maybe keep someone else from making the same mistakes. The tone for the Gatherings has definitely been set on this forum. Boat builders encouraging and helping each other. Boat builders are some great people. That's a fact. :)



I have a bad feeling that I will be experiencing the other side of this equation at the ACBS get together this weekend. We will see
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster
Posts: 4402
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:10 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby Oyster » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:36 am

I have a bad feeling that I will be experiencing the other side of this equation at the ACBS get together this weekend. We will see

There is a simple fix for that. Stay home. :wink: Its really easy to also have the last word in this one. Place tranny throttle in gear, press the throttle foward and run donuts around the crowd or at least past the docks at a safe distance and be on your merry way to sip limeade lollypops. I just saved you bunches of money and several purchases of rollaide too without even costing you a dime in additional couch sessions. :wink: :lol: 8) Heck I may have also indirectly saved you some additional costs in sandpaper and resin too, and you not even know it yet. HEHE!

User avatar
BayouBengal
Posts: 928
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:29 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:50 am

I have a bad feeling that I will be experiencing the other side of this equation at the ACBS get together this weekend. We will see
I'd heard that the ACBS was snobby; so I did not join. However, after meeting many members at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival and being invited by them to join, I did, and have really enjoyed the experience. I belong to the Bayou Chapter in Southern Louisiana and Mississippi. The fellow members in this chapter don't strike me as being much different at all from the folks at the Gathering this past weekend. Dave, you seem to be a pretty friendly guy who can get along well with anyone and I'd encourage you to go. If you don't enjoy it, just don't go back.

User avatar
DaveLott
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby DaveLott » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 am

BayouBengal wrote:
I have a bad feeling that I will be experiencing the other side of this equation at the ACBS get together this weekend. We will see
I'd heard that the ACBS was snobby; so I did not join. However, after meeting many members at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival and being invited by them to join, I did, and have really enjoyed the experience. I belong to the Bayou Chapter in Southern Louisiana and Mississippi. The fellow members in this chapter don't strike me as being much different at all from the folks at the Gathering this past weekend. Dave, you seem to be a pretty friendly guy who can get along well with anyone and I'd encourage you to go. If you don't enjoy it, just don't go back.



I belong to the Heartland Chapter. The local folks are just like us. But this is the regional annual HOORAH. We will see. And if I get that feeling, I will just pull Midnight from the slip and enjoy the lake. I understand we have a couple of Glen-L guys visiting so we can go a-riding.


dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

upspirate

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby upspirate » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:06 pm

DaveLott wrote:
Pirate's Wench wrote:
Dave Grason wrote:One of the reasons, among MANY reasons, that this event is so enjoyable is due to the fact that there are no snobs in our ranks. It takes humility to build a boat and then show that boat off regardless of whether the boat is well done, cheaply done or otherwise. The people that do these things are way more concerned with the actual build processes than having some kind of a uppity social club. Therefore, the elitism of other events is missing in this group.

Yep, I totally agree. Pirate always posts pics of our goof ups to maybe keep someone else from making the same mistakes. The tone for the Gatherings has definitely been set on this forum. Boat builders encouraging and helping each other. Boat builders are some great people. That's a fact. :)



I have a bad feeling that I will be experiencing the other side of this equation at the ACBS get together this weekend. We will see


That is why when we discussed awards for OUR Gathering,I always pushed for fun and not serious awards!

Just remember,you can use your boat without opening up planks,and if something does happen,you can fix it.

One boat I've seen in lots of show shots and at Tavares/Mt Dora , is always on a trailer....what the heck good is that??!!

Just like Butch and Paula,they do both types of shows and don't give a crap what others think!!! :wink: :D

gaffrig24
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:52 pm
Location: Douglasville, GA

Re: I remember when Pirate asked me to go to G1...

Postby gaffrig24 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks Debbie, that was a great time. We have an amazing group of talented people. I was so happy to be there this year and I hope the party made up for missing last year. Next year it will be even bigger with more music, booze, and sailors. I can hardly wait. I'll work on Summertime and maybe get your beautiful daughters to sing along with me. I may have to build another dulcimer with a pickup this time....maybe I'll buy a dulcicaster! I sure am glad you decide to join us when Pirate asked you to come.
The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.


Return to “Gathering 2010”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest