We Need Some Volunteers for G5

BruceDow

We Need Some Volunteers for G5

Postby BruceDow » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:25 am

Folks.

We need to get organized for next year.

The group that has organized the Gatherings for the past four years has started a transition to let new people step forward. We are not going anywhere, but would like to step back a bit, and play an advisory role for the "next generation".

There are lots of things we can do later, but right now, we need a volunteer to be our single focal point in discussions with Hales Bar Marina.

The objectives are to:
1) Get them to commit to required improvements
2) Get them to offer us a good group rate, in consideration for our commitment
3) Work out a reservation scheme so that we can maximize the cabins for our group
4) PICK A DATE
5) Communicate back to this group on behalf of Hales Bar Marina.

Any takers?

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

BayouBengal

Re: We Need Some Volunteers for G5

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:10 am

I'd volunteer, but the problem with this is that it would preclude my rights to bitch about anything that didn't go quite right. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:43 am

I'd like to get involved but this is a important job, I think you need someone tactful and polite which generally counts me out.
But, I would like to get involved with the planning committee so if nobody else better suited to the job wants to do it let me know. Or if there are other areas that need volunteers, count me in.

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:56 am

I too will continue to help, research, beg, borrow, or ummmmm borrow anything I can do to help.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:58 am

Bruce, on a more serious note, I think we first need to set up the "Gathering 2011" topic on the forum with the first thread being input on "what would you want changed, if anything", "what you thought went well or was good about the gathering", "what you thought could use improvement", etc.. That way the negotiator will go in knowing what we really want.

While I understand that it would be nice to get some new blood involved, if Bill will do it again, maybe it would be a good idea for whomever takes on the task of negotiating with Hales Bar to assist Bill with it for this next year since he's already established the contacts and relationships. And even in this world of teleconferencing, webinars, texting, etc., I also think that it would be advantageous to have someone geographically close to the location because sometimes when doing these things you need to be able to look the other party in the eyes.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:00 am

Just noticed we have a "Spring Fling" topic that's just been setup. You guys work fast.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:20 pm

=I think we first need to set up the "Gathering 2011" topic on the forum with the first thread being input on "what would you want changed, if anything", "what you thought went well or was good about the gathering", "what you thought could use improvement", etc.. That way the negotiator will go in knowing what we really want.

"BayouBengal"]Just noticed we have a "Spring Fling" topic that's just been setup. You guys work fast.

We've been working on this very thing since Monday in the "secret" section!!!

Pirate's Wench

Postby Pirate's Wench » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:31 pm

I agree that we need a central place to voice our issues so that whomever does approach Hales Bar will have the necessary information to get all the issues addressed. For the benefit of those who may not be aware, Gail said the Hales Bar manager approached her to say that this is the first year they have rented out all the cabins and wanted our input as to what they need to improve to get us to come back next year. They offered a group rate, etc. to get us back. So, the door is already open. We just need to gather the concerns and present them and see what can be done. I have some issues and wouldn't be comfortable going back there unless improvements are made. I'm really crappy at negotiating or I would step up to this plate. (I once was offered a discount for an item at a garage sale and insisted on paying full price! What a ditz!) So I will leave the negotiating to someone who would be working for us instead of against us! But I will do whatever I can to help. :)
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

DeltaDawg

Postby DeltaDawg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Mrs. Pirate, I am glad you joined the forum, I like your avatar and I have enjoyed your recent posts.

It might be worth a try to negotiate with Hales Bar but I don't know if there is enough profit in the event for Hales Bar to fix many issues.

The floating cabins marine toilet’s holding tanks would have to be completely removed (expensive) to get rid of odors and gases backing up into the cabin. You can make guests more comfortable by renting solar powered VIP flush toilets and showers on a trailer for your event and hiring a cleaning service but of course there is a cost and its best to provide over capacity so there are no lines. Frequently you need to hire security too to keep non event related personnel from using and fouling the nice VIP toilets. I have used VIP toilets for events; it is awkward to turn non event related personnel away when they have the urge to go to the VIP toilets.

If the invasive plant species fouling motor intakes and props is the issue you might be able to move the event on the calendar earlier in the year before they have a chance to grow all summer. A friend of mine eradicates invasive plant species in the delta waterways and it costs the state $10K/acre, not cheap.

It would be a significant cost to build a launch ramp at Hales Bar closer to the floating cabins if that is an issue.

Some have mentioned Lake Powell for an event site, I believe that is Colorado River water like Lake Havasu and it is now fouled with quagga and zebra mussels boaters would have to rinse out, dry the boat and get inspected before going back into non fouled waters.

Forum Moderators, you can delete the West Coast Rendezvous topic after moving its contents into your new locked Past Gatherings topic. I will not be hosting or coordinating future Rendezvous (because of my liability concerns). Along with 2007 and 2008 it is probably worth keeping 2010 Rendezvous even though I canceled it because that topic has some nice pictures of our Jan 2010 run and Rich's nice Flip Ultra You Tube video.

Pirate's Wench

Postby Pirate's Wench » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:57 pm

DeltaDawg wrote:Mrs. Pirate, I am glad you joined the forum, I like your avatar and I have enjoyed your recent posts.

The floating cabins marine toilet’s holding tanks would have to be completely removed (expensive) to get rid of odors and gases backing up into the cabin. You can make guests more comfortable by renting solar powered VIP flush toilets and showers on a trailer for your event and hiring a cleaning service but of course there is a cost and its best to provide over capacity so there are no lines. Frequently you need to hire security too to keep non event related personnel from using and fouling the nice VIP toilets. I have used VIP toilets for events; it is awkward to turn non event related personnel away when they have the urge to go to the VIP toilets.

Thanks for the welcome DeltaDawg. The smell in our cabin came from the holding tank backing up into the shower which was apparently due to the fact that the tank was not emptied in a timely manner. They should have emptied the tanks for all cabins before we arrived and a lot of the problems might have been avoided. I'm certainly not an expert on such things, but I'm inclined to attribute that to poor management. It took 2 phone calls and a trip up front to "get in their face" before they would understand that we had sewage in our shower. :!: I will also note that there was no odor before the tank backed up nor after they got it pumped out. :)
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

Return to “Gathering 2010”