Feed Back 2010

Lowka53

Re: Feed Back 2010

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:53 pm

gaffrig24 wrote:I know there were some problems with a few things but I think they can be worked out. The millfoil was a big problem that should be addressed..

the milloil isn't some thing that Nickjack park people have control of that would be the parks department or wildlife peoples concern about all they could do is try and dreg it out of there area unless it it a priviatlly owned lake then they would be responsable for it's removal
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

MARK ANDERSON

Postby MARK ANDERSON » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Ok , we did have a very big holding tank smell , also because I have two boys who do not realize what life is like with a holding tank( I had a 36 ft sloop when I was single and I do know when ya go or not!!!) . The fold out was very small BUT overall the room was OK for 3 nights. Location was a long drive for us BUT if we were to move it closer to me then I think we would lose some great folk who would not like to travel so far!. Hey If you want The same venue next year I think it would be great!!!It is the people who make the difference and no matter where you go as long as we get to have the great times then it just does not matter.
My two cents!!!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:39 pm

There were a lot of things that were really nice about Nickajack and I really enjoyed the gathering very much. If it is held there in 2011, I will certainly be there. But I still feel strongly about not locking ourselves in to one spot and think other venues can be found that will be just as nice or better and will allow other people to participate.

JMHO

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

gaffrig24

Postby gaffrig24 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm

the milfoil can be controlled. they have a shreader that eats the stuff up. The fishermen want it around so they don't shred it this time of year. We are a big group and may have some influence over what can be done in that area.
The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:43 am

When we were at Guntersville we had to park the boats about the cabins there and I know that there was no one gripping about that.

It is always nice to be able to have the boats in the water and just jump in them and take off for a nice ride but I think that will not happen in many places.

If we get enough backing to move to Moors spot and really think this would work out I will volunteer to drive out there and do some serious checking out of the place and get all of the information possible. I am sure that will add about 400 more miles to my driving too from NC. which will be close to 1000 for me. It would increase the southern boys driving but decrease the Canadians and some of our northern boys.

If this group continues to grow the way it is it will not be long before there will be 200 people involved and a score more boats as it seems there are a lot of new ones in the making as of right now.

So hopefully more of you will check out the website and let me know your feelings and I will do my best to work things out with them if you want me to go there. We could work up a questioneer to ask the operators of Moors of the needs of our group.
Jimmy
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

billy c

Postby billy c » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:23 am

after reading the feedback that everyone has written above decided to look online to see what other travelers that stayed there at other points in the year had written.
here are reviews posted about Hales Bar:
trip advisor
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55125-d1213905-r78015563-Hales_Bar_Marina_Resort-Jasper_Tennessee.html#REVIEWS
america on wheels review:
http://www.americaonwheels.com/Reviews/Hales_Bar_Marina
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:31 am

Ouch!

Soccer mom writes:

Hales Bar Marina is a great place with poor execution and the only one to be blamed is the owner and the so called "manager", who's only interested in what people think of him, not the marina. The staff is pleasant and try to do the best they can with the means they are given, but overall this is a terrible place.
The pool is disgusting, and the water slide is a joke. Who lets a minor "lifeguard" at a water slide? The cabins are nice but the AC is completely lacking and the odor is horrendous!
I do not recommend this place at all and have half a mind to contact the state regarding their issues. This cannot be safe.

America on wheels writes:

Our opinion... a turd trying to be a rose.

We mentioned the amount of weeds in the lake, and were told that the bass fishermen loved the weeds, and that they had the money that paid to influence those in control of the lake to keep the weeds. ( Clearly a bogus excuse for the weeds!)

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:49 am

In my own opinion this place really is not up to par with most marinas at all. I kind of knew from the first phone call that those people running the office did not have much experience in handling the public. When you have no maintance people around to keep things tidied up and neat you end up with a lot of problems real quick. It also looked like the trash bin had not been emptied in months. I guess the owner just wants the money coming in and not care about the upkeep. To bad. This place if taken care of properly would surely be a nice vacation spot for a lot of people but when you get a bunch of nasty reviews you can kiss it good bye.
If we end up there next year I know I will not be joining up.
Jimmy

Lewis Barrett

Postby Lewis Barrett » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:02 am

Hales Bar is just too close to my house for me to complain to much. Yea, the dang "sea weed" and having to fix my own cable T.V. so I could watch the football games were a hassle, but I would go back next year. They seemed to be nice people and willing to help. I really liked the boats being right in front of our cabins and the big dock space.

David

thudpucker

Postby thudpucker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 am

Those weeds are not a good thing. However, Nature put them there and the Marina cant do anything about it.
That's a province of the State Fish n' Game.

The Bass Fishermen probably don't know the weeds are bad for them as well.
The weeds hide the sunlight from the shallows where the sunlight on the bottom causes Oxygen to "Grow" which is good for the water and everything in the water.

Pond owners used to get a Cable between two Tractors and "Drag" that cable through the Pond to cut or maul the weeds out of existence and rejuvenate the ponds. Can you imagine the State Budget request to get rid of Mil-foil in the whole TN river system?

Hales Bar could make a big improvement with a double set of docks out (toward the river) off Cabin #1. That would make the Pavilion right where it ought to be. We'll all use the Cabin Potty's and have water etc.
That would be improvement enough for our kind of Gathering.
Those floating docks hide the Drunks from the Sobers eh? :P

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Jimmy70 wrote:If we get enough backing to move to Moors spot and really think this would work out I will volunteer to drive out there and do some serious checking out of the place and get all of the information possible. I am sure that will add about 400 more miles to my driving too from NC. which will be close to 1000 for me. It would increase the southern boys driving but decrease the Canadians and some of our northern boys.

Jimmy, please don't take a 1000 mile trip just to check the place out when I only live 83 miles down the road. Let's see about the consensus on staying at HB and if the decision is to leave, I'll run up there on the Harley, camera in hand. The Harley only gets a measley 50 miles to the gallon and it's such a pain to ride, especially in this incredibly terrible fall weather, that I hate to even think about throwing my leg over it but, (long sigh) if it has to be done, it has to be done. It's a good thing I'm such a sacrificing sort of guy.

Ok, I'm kidding. Kentucky is a "no helmet required" state and I'll ride up there anytime I get half an excuse. LOL. Seriously, it is right at Land Between The Lakes. I would probably be riding up there soon anyway.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Dave Grason wrote: Let's see about the consensus on staying at HB and if the decision is to leave, I'll run up there on the Harley, camera in hand.

Just my 2 cents but there seems to be enough issues with HB that at least a look at this Moors place could be worthwhile. I hate to see Dave L. sticking his neck out and trying to get HB to do all this stuff (the list is on the other thread and is pretty big for a once-a-year-3-day-group thing) and then have us not go there...or find out too late that HB says they'll do the work but doesn't...or won't commit...and then it is too late to get the other place or to begin looking again. By the looks of some of those comments the problems at HB are consistent and have not been addressed over time. At least if someone looks over Moors closely we have a viable yes or no on it and can then proceed on HB with that in mind. I'll be there either place, but it is sounding like there is growing resistance to HB now that people have sat back and considered everything. And heck, it'll give Dave G. a nice drive on his bike!

FWIW, Moors: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... tucky.html

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Ken SChott,,Send me your adress, so I can send you a check!!!!!!!EM me at dbcolton@ccwebster.net....Dwain The SKIII KIIIINNNGGG!!!!!!!!
AND, I think HB was great,even though there were issues...I liked the idea of lining up all the boats at the dock and being able to see them all and beg for a ride all the time...I tried to ride in every boat but didn't quite make all of them...The ones I did ride in were neat!!!!!!!! I was suffereing from BOAT ENVY.......... and that's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADD!!!!!!!!!
DWAIN, The SKIIIIII KIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGG......

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 am

Hi Dave
Well that surely would take a load off my mind if you did make a quick run there and check things out for us.
Lots of photos and some kind of list from all of us of the questions that need to be asked.

I rode thru there on my bike back in 89 a couple of times and it really is a cool place. I had a eagle that was in a ditch eating something when it flew out and almost knocked me off the motorcycle and got to say scared the hell out of me.

I spent about 10 days at Moors way back in 89 also when I got married for our honeymoon stay. Course back then I was renting a boat from them and a cabin and was doing some fishing here and there on the lake.

I still am hoping I will get some information from them thru the mail or email and see what they can offer.
Jimmy

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:28 am

Ok, I'm kidding. Kentucky is a "no helmet required" state and I'll ride up there anytime I get half an excuse. LOL. Seriously, it is right at Land Between The Lakes. I would probably be riding up there soon anyway

IIRC I think one of the key issues last year was the open exposure of the water for boating. I wonder if boating in sept., if thats the time that you guys are leaning towards again, brings about its own pattern or weather in that area.

Return to “Gathering 2010”