Another view from the Gathering

Gayle Brantuk

Another view from the Gathering

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:34 am

I just got an email this morning from Eileen who is a boater that lives at Hale's Bar Marina. She posted some photos and a really nice video on her blog. It's nice to see our event from a little different perspective...
http://mvmaithai.blogspot.com/2010/10/yes-you-can-build-boat-yourself.html
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

Lowka53

Re: Another view from the Gathering

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:45 am

:roll: they kind of gave misconception that we only built mini boats :lol: my build is far from being a mini boat :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 am

Wow Gayle, you said a different perspective and you were right. They had a very different outlook on the event. That's cool. I'm glad all of this got shared.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 am

I posted a comment in the blog that Glen-L builders do, in fact, make a large variety of boat sizes, not just the cute little minatures (I assume they are talking about the Tugs).

I can forgive that misconception.. its not like this event was held at an ocean port with a 55' Glen-L anchored off shore!

All those ZIPS and Tugs.. easy to jump to conclusions.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Thats one of the best things about the Gathering long term. It gets exposure out there to people that may have never thought about building a boat of their own to consider doing so. They see that us hooligans can do it, so can they.

jp-hydro

Postby jp-hydro » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:26 am

I agree with vupilot, I'm also a victom of it. I was planning on a small hydroplane to start with, but after the gathering and seeing the builds posted online by Dave L and Billy C, I'm thinking of something bigger. Just too many boats on the Glen-l site to chose from :? . Boating is addictive as it is, building makes it worse :D

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:11 am

One of the things that the Gs have done for me, and this is not necessarily a positive thing, is that they've shown me that I'm NOT going to be happy with my boat when I'm finished. And I've often wondered if this has been a discouragement, at least on a subconscious level, and I wonder if it that hasn't contributed to my project's delay. I'm not saying that it has been the total cause because it has not. But, I'm starting to realize that, from a certain point of view, I now have to finish my current boat before I can start the boat that I really want. And I sort of feel that I've taken some steps backwards.

The Zip is a great boat. But, after attending the Gs and riding in other boats, I realized that the Zip will never be fast enough for me to be happy. It also does not ride smoothly enough for my taste. And it won't carry a large enough crew for me to be able to entertain my friends the way I will want. The only way that I will be happy is to build a large inboard and that seems a long way away. And this is because I've been able to see all the other designs up close and then ride in them.

On the other hand, if I had not attended any of the Gs, I would not be so disappointed until I actually got the Zip in the water and found out after the effort had been spent. So the question for me is..... "What do I do?"

First, I feel that I made a promise and a commitment to finish the Zip, therefore I should finish it. And it's a matter of pride that I build it in as good a manner as I can. But when it's finished, it will be up for sale almost immediately in order to raise money for the next build.

These Gatherings are definately learning experiences.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Well, Mr. Pontificator - there is a solution. :shock:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:48 pm

DaveLott wrote:Well, Mr. Pontificator - there is a solution. :shock:

Step one.......

8)

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Dave Grason wrote:One of the things that the Gs have done for me, and this is not necessarily a positive thing, is that they've shown me that I'm NOT going to be happy with my boat when I'm finished. And I've often wondered if this has been a discouragement, at least on a subconscious level, and I wonder if it that hasn't contributed to my project's delay. I'm not saying that it has been the total cause because it has not. But, I'm starting to realize that, from a certain point of view, I now have to finish my current boat before I can start the boat that I really want. And I sort of feel that I've taken some steps backwards.

The Zip is a great boat. But, after attending the Gs and riding in other boats, I realized that the Zip will never be fast enough for me to be happy. It also does not ride smoothly enough for my taste. And it won't carry a large enough crew for me to be able to entertain my friends the way I will want. The only way that I will be happy is to build a large inboard and that seems a long way away. And this is because I've been able to see all the other designs up close and then ride in them.

On the other hand, if I had not attended any of the Gs, I would not be so disappointed until I actually got the Zip in the water and found out after the effort had been spent. So the question for me is..... "What do I do?"

First, I feel that I made a promise and a commitment to finish the Zip, therefore I should finish it. And it's a matter of pride that I build it in as good a manner as I can. But when it's finished, it will be up for sale almost immediately in order to raise money for the next build.

These Gatherings are definately learning experiences.

We own 7 boats,1/2 owner in another,one under construction,and future plans for a few more.

They all do something different, so start building your fleet!

The one that dies with the most boats/toys ,still dies!!!

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 pm

psychobilly wrote:Step one......

LOL...admit that you have a problem.....

Step 2..... :lol: :? :P :roll:

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:06 pm

I gotta admit it, I am still hooked on the Coastal Cruiser !~ Now that I am in Wyoming where I can walk on the water half of the year! :?

Steve

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:45 pm

leakcheck wrote:
psychobilly wrote:Step one......

LOL...admit that you have a problem.....

Step 2..... :lol: :? :P :roll:

:lol: ...... came ta believe.... :wink: lmao

We own 7 boats,1/2 owner in another,one under construction,and future plans for a few more.

:shock: you need to werk on step 1 :lol:

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:38 am

leak check wear at in Wyoming :lol: you may not be to far from me
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:56 am

Right at the base of the WindRiverRange ! Lander Wyoming !!
Steve

Return to “Gathering 2010”