River Run 2010

raymacke

Re: River Run 2010

Postby raymacke » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:31 pm

If you are planning on attending “The Gathering 2010” I would strongly encourage that you schedule an extra day or two and make the river run. Of all the rivers I have traveled this 33-mile stretch from Hales Bar Marina to Chattanooga is my absolute favorite. It is just gorgeous! I have made this run well over two dozen times and still look forward to doing it again.

And now that we are closer this is a run almost everyone’s boat can make. Plus this section of the river twists and turns a lot and is sheltered buy the high surrounding bluffs. As a result, even if the wind is blowing it seldom has a chance to build waves of any size making it usually a smooth ride.

If you can only schedule one extra day it would still be worth the time. Even at a 15 MPH cruise speed it is only about two hours away. Leave in the morning, have lunch in downtown Chattanooga (there many restaurants in easy walking distance). Then walk out on to the Walnut St Bridge for a great view of the river and downtown. Then after a few hours knocking about make the return run to Hales Bar.

If you can get away for two extra days come make the planned run and lock up on to Lake Chickamauga (40 miles from Hales Bar). If you like you can help with the scouting mission for possible future Gathering locations. I am sure the plan will be to lock back down late afternoon and spend the night on the Delta Queen which is another “shouldn’t miss” event for hard-core boaters like us. Plus, we will probably have a nice evening meal as a group at a downtown restaurant. We did that in 09 and I can honestly say it was the best dinner conversation I have had in years! (Although Bruce probably got tired of answering questions about life in Canada) Also, it would be a great photo op for pictures of you boat with extremely nice Chattanooga waterfront in the background.

SO – if there is anyway you can swing it – do it. I am sure you will really enjoy making Chattanooga by water.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 am

Yeah, Bob, I'm with YOU...Unless Dave gets his BOAT DONE......I made him promise to give me a ride in it next year, and I'm gonna hold him to it, if we gotta throw a rope around a deck beam and drag it!!!!!!! Will get to you later in year when I decide how I'm gonna get there....If there was enough water I'd drive the damn boat...Tow a teardrop trailer on floats to sleep in....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Dwain, The ever present SKIIII KIIIIIINNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:13 am

SKIIIIIII KIIIIIINGGGGGGGGG, just bring your old redneck houseboat,no need to build a fancy teardrop tag-a-long.......also a fuel efficient motorhome:

http://houseboatshantyboatbuilders.word ... at-spirit/

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:49 pm

kens

Postby kens » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:25 pm

We had a good time staying on the Delta Queen last year. How many folks are interested in doing that again? Thursday nite.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Me thinkgs I will need to build a bigger boat before next year to make the river run. No way no how am I doing it in a Squirt.

Now I have a new goal. Thanks!

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
www.tubbytug.com

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:17 pm

I was beginning to think with the shorter distance to Chattanooga from the new gathering spot, it would be possible to make the trip in the Squirt. What am I missing here?

S.D.G.

Postby S.D.G. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:07 pm

HAPPY HOLIDAYS GUYS: New member here right from Chattanoonga , NOrth side of the Rt #153 lock / dam . I live in one of the coves off main channel , maybe mile marker 480 .(?) . Very close at the Possum creek camp ground, one sub leased from TVA.
..... Reading all these posts is like a early Christmas present. Even closer than a ALA location. 1st suggestion would be our County Park , CHESTER FROST, in Hamilton county. Big campground where the county FAIR is held almost that same weekend .? Used for many fishing tournaments during the year & has a stage & bleachers built for "Weigh IN's". MM 475(?)
My wife works for the AQUARIUM & #1 wish for visitors would be to get on the new JET tourist boat. Theater seating & 55mph, Nose Wheelie breaking & 360 degree Donuts from joystick control. More pics on my link below. TENN RIVER.
... Also in this area is our Gorge Trust group www.trgt.org can view site & see lodging conference center called "POT POINT CABIN". Sleeping for ten. or 12 is rented out for weddings, small groups, etc. On the "BLUEWAY" paddling trail & has overnight water camping. 500 acre preserve estate., hiking etc.
. Future for 2011 was just in our paper $86 Million water front expansion on the West end of city breakfront. MOre city docks , & Marriott Hotel complex. THANKS AGAIN for all kind comments. Major VW car mfg plant picked our city for HQ build. 1st bldg up. Retired here 3 yrs ago.
..Chattanooga Tenn river Gorge area.
......... http://www.SplitDeckGuideboats.webs.com

Dwain the ski king

Postby Dwain the ski king » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Hell, If the damn thing floats, throw a motor on it and go....You can put a lifejacket on it like the Ultra-lites do with a parachutes...................SKIIIIIIIII KIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:55 pm

i am hoping my SeaKnight will be done by then.....but here are a few things to think about. I ran my existing boat down river from Knoxville in august and they are doing a lot of work to the Chickamunga lock. It picked up my 28 foot express cruiser and moved it around a little. I have been told the construction will be going on for a while.

There are, however, a ton of fun places up on the resevoir.
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:09 pm

BayouBengal wrote:I was beginning to think with the shorter distance to Chattanooga from the new gathering spot, it would be possible to make the trip in the Squirt. What am I missing here?

Nickajack to the Queen is an easy run. ...and a very, very pretty one. I don't think you're missing a thing. I plan on doing the trip in the Zip. Granted, I don't know what my gas consumption will be but I'll handle that by taking along extra cans of premix. (I'll stow them in Bruce's boat when he's not looking. he he) I really don't want to make the run in the dark, so if we go to the Queen, we'll plan on staying the night and making the run back the following morning. Wow, I think a morning run in glassy calm water will be fantastic.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Fabricflyer

Postby Fabricflyer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:52 pm

I was beginning to think with the shorter distance to Chattanooga from the new gathering spot, it would be possible to make the trip in the Squirt. What am I missing here?

BayouBengal,
I'll make the run with you in my Squirt. BulldogBoater, bring your Squirt also, we'll make it a threesome.

Fabricflyer

Postby Fabricflyer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:58 pm

BayouBengal,
Drop me a PM on your travel plans, You can go right through Tylertown, MS on your way to Hales Bar. We can convoy together on the way up.

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon May 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Anyone interested in Option 2 : Chattanooga run - same day return ? (66 miles round trip).

This might suit the smaller boats (BulldogBoater, BayouBengal) and anyone not overnighting at the Delta Queen.

raymacke wrote:If you can only schedule one extra day it would still be worth the time. Even at a 15 MPH cruise speed it is only about two hours away. Leave in the morning, have lunch in downtown Chattanooga (there many restaurants in easy walking distance). Then walk out on to the Walnut St Bridge for a great view of the river and downtown. Then after a few hours knocking about make the return run to Hales Bar.

Any fuel stops/marinas along the way ?? I'd hate to have to siphon fuel from any of the smaller boats ... :roll: :lol:

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Mon May 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Yes! Altough if my boat is not powered yet I may be a bit slower than you if I have to "oar it" there and back. I get there Wednesday and staying until at least Monday.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Return to “Gathering 2010”