Food for thought

DaveLott

Re: Food for thought

Post by DaveLott » Tue May 25, 2010 8:11 am

John B wrote:
DaveLott wrote:John - Are you bringing your boat this year? :lol:
Ah, Dave, you let the cat out of the bag. :o :(
I wanted to surprise everyone with the beautiful Barrelback I started and completed right after last year's Gathering, but now that you've ruined the surprise I'll just have to leave "Miss Constructed" at home this year. :roll:

John - John - JOHNNNNNN!!!. Wake up man!!!

That must be some heck of a dream you were having. :lol:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Bill E

Post by Bill E » Fri May 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Well... for those who remember me (!), this is your first public notice that I'm hoping I have reason to make it to G4. I came to G1 with my friend Hector, the "crazy Cuban" and we cooked Saturday breakfast. IF I make it, you can count on me for a repeat.

...And having been raised Baptist, Dave's right. We don't believe in separation of church and plate. :)
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat May 29, 2010 11:33 am

Bill, I remember you and Hector from the first Gathering. You've missed some fun at the Gatherings since.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

John B

Post by John B » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:41 am

Bill E wrote:... I'm hoping I have reason to make it to G4....
Bill, you don't need a "reason" (I'm supposing you mean having your boat ready) to come to the Gathering.

But if you insist on a reason to attend, how about...
Fun
Food
Great comradery
Picking the brains of other boatbuilders
Inspiration

I'll bet the other members of this Forum can add a lot more reasons... what do you think, men?
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:22 am

Bill, I remember you and Hector from the first gathering. I also remember you posting pics of a beautiful classic lapstrake boat you bought, and thus, decided against building a Glen-L from scratch. I hope you make it to the gathering and please bring the boat, even if it's not a Glen-L.

Bill E

Post by Bill E » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Hey guys! Yes, the "real reason" I hope to have to come to G4 is a boat that I can at least put on a trailer. Even that is going to be a real push, but I'm hopeful. I have plenty of other reasons like those that John listed, but only one that has a lot of weight with the Admiral. :roll:

Yes, Jeff, the boat is a 1957 ~16' ply lapstrake outboard Thompson Sea Lancer with steam bent oak ribs every 6" (60 total). Pretty much all of them ended up having to be replaced, and I finally gave up on steaming the new ones. I've now switched to making laminated frames... some 5-ply and some 6-ply in .57" total thickness. More on that under a different thread soon. I'm also going to replace all planking below the waterline. The oak keel(son) was shot, oak floor framing was bowed, solid mahogany transom has fewer issues but needs work. It really is a complete structural rebuild, not just a repair job.

Just so I don't get accused of hijacking the thread, what have folks done for breakfast the past 2 years? I read something about omelets! :D

-wte

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:50 pm

We've had some very competent people building omelets,pancakes etc (Equal to what you guys did!!! :wink: )

Bill E,Sorry for not responding to your PM>>>>I will get to it soon :oops:

John B

Post by John B » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:52 pm

upspirate wrote:We've had some very competent people building omelets,pancakes etc (Equal to what you guys did!!! :wink: )

Bill E,Sorry for not responding to your PM>>>>I will get to it soon :oops:
Hey, how about someone making "huevos rancheros" this year? Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I'd actually rather have Eggs Benedict, but since the hollandaise sauce has a tendency to go bad quickly (and make one ill) I think I'll settle for the h.r. :)
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Bill E wrote: I'm hoping I have reason to make it to G4. :)
This might not be the ONLY reason, but you're going to be even closer this year as we've moved it to Nickajack. It's all interstate from Hotlanta.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill E

Post by Bill E » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Dave Grason wrote:This might not be the ONLY reason, but you're going to be even closer this year as we've moved it to Nickajack. It's all interstate from Hotlanta.
Oh, I know! Having grown up in N. GA (Cartersville) with grandparents in W. TN (Bells) and then attending college in Nashville, I've crossed that lake all my life. When I found out the Gathering had been moved there, that really helped to light a fire under my transom! Dave, I have friends who lost their house in Nashville... hope you fared better in the floods!

...And on the food topic 8) I'll see what I can work out (assuming I can come, of course). Never made h.r. but I'm sure I work with a few guys who can tell me how it's really supposed to be made! Looks like fresh Gulf shrimp might be out of season for quite a while. Shrimp omelets are awesome.

-wte

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:43 am

John B wrote:
upspirate wrote:Gayle and John B are bringing abalone this year I hear for those that never had it!! :wink: :lol: 8)
Ah, balony!!! :lol:
JB we call that Alabama Round Steak where I come from. Others call it red ribbon steak..... :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:50 am

Lobster Benedict ain't have bad either!!

kens

Post by kens » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:02 pm

We're not hurt here on Georgia coast. Shrimps are just now starting to come in season.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:01 pm

Here is dinner delivered to the door

deer&cat.jpg
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Gathering 2010”