Hi Malcolm from Norfolk (UK)

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Ahoy hoy

Hi Malcolm from Norfolk (UK)

Postby Ahoy hoy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:39 am

Hi Evereebody, I have been following the Glen - L Marine newsletter for a couple of years waiting for the day I have the time AND Space to build a barrel back bit of fun.
That being said, I am currently building a 50ft x 20ft 'man cave' in order to have somewhere to build the barrel back.
I have a question for starters if you please, what height should I allow for the Shed doors to accommodate a boat on a trailer.
I appreciate there are varying sizes of trailer / boats etc. A rough guide would be much appreciated, would hate to build it for it to be stuck in its home :roll:
Regards, Malcolm

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Hi Malcolm from Norfolk (UK)

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Malcolm,

Welcome! It will vary--the Barrelback from deck to keel is about 3-1/2 feet (generous), not including the windshield. Seems like at least doubling that to include the trailer might be close. Anyone have an answer?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Malcolm,

The BB and Tahoe 19 are very close in size. Garage doors here are usually 9'-0" wide and 6'-8" high. Standard trailers here are 8'-6" wide. Top of rear bunks are 24" off the ground. There was no problem getting the Tahoe in and out. When I built the Bartender, I only had 1" of overhead clearance to get the boat outside to put it on the trailer. Never to go back in again. If I was building I would go for at least a 10' high door.

Sorry, to lazy to do the metric conversion today. Maybe, it's one of our watery beers.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:47 am

Hi Malcolm,

I think the answer is "how big can you get?" My garage door is 8' high and 9' wide, a standard size here. My boat trailer has loading guides that touch the weather seals on both sides as I push the trailer through the door by hand, not ideal. My boat shop door is 7' wide by 6'-8" high. I will be able to get the 23' Tahoe being built out...I think. So if given the chance, I would select a door as tall and wide as would fit the wall.

Tom

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”