New Riviera build in the Netherlands

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Hugohop

New Riviera build in the Netherlands

Postby Hugohop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am

Hello, here’s a new member at this rich and helpfull forum. My name is Hugo and a couple of weeks ago I started my project: the Riviera.
Drawings in the house, bought a mahogany tree :mrgreen: and got started with making the molds. Then preparing the wood and cutting the forms. A lot of work and looking forward to see the first impression of the hull size. A small question where perhaps someone could help me with: if I look at the drawing of the transom, most parts are of 1 inch thickness. But if I measure the parts in the front-view drawing of the transom, most of them are not 1 inch (2,54 centimeters) but less (just 2 centimeters). Could this be my misinterpretation or are the front-view drawings perhaps not consistent with the other drawing? Perhaps some-one could shed a light on this. Thanx
Attachments
FADF231A-C370-4D4E-BF1D-A4C05A049139.jpeg
C942814F-1B4F-4530-8A28-349628035F4A.jpeg
DF326F3F-35CC-414B-9C39-179B0F00020E.jpeg

Tony Hain

Re: New Riviera build in the Netherlands

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Hugo,
What I think you will find is that in a lot of these boats the timber listed is a net size but what is used is actually a dressed size unless otherwisw stated. This is what is done in the "Tahoe" plans. So a 2 x 1 inch(50mm x 25mm) timber will end up being 1 3/4 x 3/4 (44mm x 19mm} or there abouts. But I could be wrong as I am not familiar with the Riviers plans.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm

edit: [oops I didn't see that your question had been likely answered already]

I think you are talking about the notches in the transom for the battens, chine, and sheers. If so then the notches will need to be customized to whatever thickness wood you are using. 1" lumber will usually come in at 3/4" or a little more once it's planed. So if the plans refer to 1" lumber that's what they mean. If it says 1" (net) it means 1.25" surface planed to 1".

Hugohop

Postby Hugohop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanx gentlemen, I will check it again and follow the drawings more rigorously. Next time I’ll post the result!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”