Hello from Bolton, UK

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BrumBrum

Hello from Bolton, UK

Postby BrumBrum » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 am

Hi

I'm fairly recently retired and am looking for a project... a small wooden runabout seems like an ideal project!

I quite fancy the looks of both the Squirt and the Zip.

I'd be interested to know which tools are essential and what would be nice to have.

Are there other Squirt and Zip builders in the UK? If yes can you suggest timber suppliers?

I have reasonable skills when it comes down to building things, I've never built a boat before but plenty of model gliders and I have an eye for detail and aesthetics.

For those of you have built either of the designs I'm considering how have you found the construction? Easier, as expected or more difficult?

Regards

Simon
Bolton, UK

Roberta

Re: Hello from Bolton, UK

Postby Roberta » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

Welcome aboard!! I built the Zip and found it to be both easy and fun. A hole shooter of any type with various bits, a saber saw, hand plane or low priced power plane, a belt sander and finish sander, clamps, ratchet straps, a level, and a building table for layout and construction of frames, are the most essential. If you need to resaw wood, you would need a band saw and a surface planer. Otherwise use store bought wood in nominal thicknesses.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BrumBrum

Postby BrumBrum » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Roberta

Apart from not having a band saw, numerous (I have a few) clamps and ratchet straps I have all the equipment that you mention and a large garage. So decent start: )

I suppose probably the next step is to decide for definite which boat (Squirt or Zip) and order the plans for perusal.Thanks again

Simon

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Either boat will be fun to build and there is much info on both in the forum plus people willing to advise you.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:06 pm

No exotic tools are needed. Just determination and perseverance.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 am

Welcome, Simon.

I am building a Zip in the UK. I have bought ply (Robbins Elite - okume ply), white oak and utile from Robbins in Bristol (http://www.robbins.co.uk/) but the last time I needed timber they couldn't offer the lengths I wanted in any of the three timbers I suggested so i ended up buying yellow cedar from Stones Boatyard (http://www.stonesboatyard.co.uk/timber.html) who were very good to deal with. There are other suppliers, of course, but those are just the ones i've used and I could recommend either.

The first tool I went out and bought specifically for this project was a second hand bandsaw (because I thought I needed one) and it's useless - I wish I'd never bothered. In my opinion only a large bandsaw would be worth having - the Ryobi 9" one I have isn't worth the bench space. I think rather than upgrading to a bigger one I'll just use my bench saw (which i also bought for this project) to re-saw planks with a thin kerf blade and accept the losses. I've used the bench saw a lot already.

Construction is pretty easy (as far as I've got) even though I've made my life more difficult by modifying the design. If I hadn't done that I reckon I'd have the hull planked by now. Read all the plans carefully before you start work as well as the Boatbuilding with Plywood book. My build table was simply an 8' x 4' sheet of 3/4 exterior ply with 2" x 3" battens screwed to the long edges for stiffness and supported on folding trestles. Plenty big enough for building Zip frames and easy to put away when it's not needed any more. The best tool I bought was a decent (Makita) jigsaw - worth its weight in gold and essential. Next best was an oscillating belt sander which I love but you could survive without.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 am

Welcome!
A couple of hand tools I would recommend is a block plane, and a japanese saw. The saw is the best thing I have found for cutting notches, and trimming. (pic below)
Jim
Attachments
12F27.0.jpg
12F27.0.jpg (16.22 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”