New guy from Michigan

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jay33

New guy from Michigan

Post by jay33 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello all,

I'm in Michigan about a half hour north of Detroit. I've been reading a lot here , and that's helping me narrow down my idea for boat # 2 ( #1 was a small stitch and glue sailing dinghy from bateau). My father in law and I are partners in most projects, and we've both been reading a lot in preparation. I'll have lots of questions, so I apologize in advance.

Jason

Roberta

Re: New guy from Michigan

Post by Roberta » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Welcome aboard!! Get those plans and start building. Perfect time of the year to get going. Plenty of help and inspiration on the Glen L website (not to mention building materials and hardware) and forum.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Welcome Jason. Lots of Michigan builders. Which boat are you building and where will you use it. Tom

jay33

Post by jay33 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks Roberta!

Hi Tom. I'm trying to decide between the Zip and the Sherwood tug - two vastly different boats, I know. I'm not interested (due to time, space, and cost) in building anything which requires big HP. If it's the Zip, it will be a single cockpit, helm forward boat. If it's the Sherwood, I've got some changes in mind for the pilothouse, including possibly adding a small v-berth. I'd mostly be using it in various Oakland County lakes, with an occasional trip to Lake St. Clair/Detroit River (only if it's the Sherwood).

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 pm

jay33 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm
I'm trying to decide between the Zip and the Sherwood tug - two vastly different boats, I know.
. Quoting our friends at Wilson Marine "Life's short, boats are cool". Build 'em both!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We recently transplanted from W. Bloomfield. I spent a lot of time on Orchard, Union and Middle Straights lakes and had a sailboat on Lake St Clair. Lots of great boating in your area. Better get going on your build.

Tom

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:25 pm

:D Maybe,look at the Bo-Jest plan.It's a little bigger,has v-berth and is powered by small outboard.mine has a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke- high thrust.I'm hoping I can get mine in the water next spring.Just a thought.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Welcome, lots of builders in SW Michigan. Give us shout when you need to flip it!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”