I will be turning wood into a Cabin Skiff soon...

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

watkibe

Re: I will be turning wood into a Cabin Skiff soon...

Post by watkibe » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Hey Gayle, thanks for your kind reply. I hope they find out, too !
I have gotten out the partial bulkhead and the aft bulkhead, and they are almost completely fitted. My wife is back home now, so we have an epoxy extravaganza planned soon.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 am

I now know why I have been losing weight. I have a rare inherited neurological disease that cause muscle wasting, among other things. It won't kill me, but it will make me hate life unless I do enough PT and exercise. I have never been so glad to have a disease before; it is so much better than not knowing. Enough said on that subject
The bulkheads are done, and I have started the filleting of the long beams prior to fiberglass taping them. I also got out all the cleats and the bottom of the motor splash well. I have learned to fit up every thing using dry wall screws, only using the expensive silicon bronze screws for final assembly. They aren't strong enough for repeated in and out, as you can easily ruin the head if you don't have everything just right.
It is an exciting time in the building process. I see more and more how everything fits together to make a really strong and rigid monocoque structure by forming lots of eggcrate-like compartments.
It will take time before launch day comes, but that's ok. It will take a while to be able to buy a trailer and motor, so I will build the boat meanwhile. More photos soon I promise.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Glad you have an answer and as you know, "Knowing is half the battle" - GI Joe

It's good to hear your build is progressing and you're enjoying the process!

danman

Post by danman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:31 pm

watkibe wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 am
I now know why I have been losing weight. I have a rare inherited neurological disease that cause muscle wasting, among other things. It won't kill me, but it will make me hate life unless I do enough PT and exercise. I have never been so glad to have a disease before; it is so much better than not knowing. Enough said on that subject
The bulkheads are done, and I have started the filleting of the long beams prior to fiberglass taping them. I also got out all the cleats and the bottom of the motor splash well. I have learned to fit up every thing using dry wall screws, only using the expensive silicon bronze screws for final assembly. They aren't strong enough for repeated in and out, as you can easily ruin the head if you don't have everything just right.
It is an exciting time in the building process. I see more and more how everything fits together to make a really strong and rigid monocoque structure by forming lots of eggcrate-like compartments.
It will take time before launch day comes, but that's ok. It will take a while to be able to buy a trailer and motor, so I will build the boat meanwhile. More photos soon I promise.
Good to hear you now know what your dealing with healthwise. Would you mind sharing what they call it? Good luck on your build.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Glad you finally have some answers and a course of action. And that the build is still progressing.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:41 am

I have been wondering how to make a hard point in the bow for a big cleat and a big pad eye in the bow, since it is such a light boat. Then I realized that I also needed the blocking for the bow eye. I cut a piece of 2x6 to fit inside the stem from the bottom of the breast hook down far enough to back the bow eye. Now I am cutting a triangle of 9mm marine ply to fill in from the breast, along the face of the 2x6, to side against the hull.
I will be making a boxed "Sampson post" with triangles in two axes, so it will be light and strong. The deck goes on top of the breast hook, and I can add an extra layer of ply there if needed. A small and acceptable modification to the plans, I think.
I will get my wife out to the barn with her camera soon.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:59 am

What a wonderful place these forums are...

I was just lamenting how rarely someone documents a stitch & glue build here on the forums moments ago, when I posted about my interest in building the Tug Along. Then, the very next post is of a stitch & glue build that has until now, eluded me.

To address your post: I think your solution will work just fine. Lighter boats shouldn't need super thick sections to mount the kind of hardware you mention.

It sounds like you've been happy with S-n-G construction. I'm getting the idea that it is more suited for 'team' strategies than one guy trying to persuade big sheets of ply into place.

On another note: When I was in my early to mid 20s, I considered studying naval architecture. I went to the public library and checked out everything they had on the subject, and it seemed like every one of those books was written by a naval architect who lived on an island in Puget Sound.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”