new the forum and first time boat builder

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Ed Phillips

Re: new the forum and first time boat builder

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks again Matt and believe it or not I didn't even see that scale data. But with that said that scale equates to 1/32 = .250 which is exactly what my measurements indicated.
Thanks again Tom and since using both the posted scale and mine make the chine mathematically land at 8 1/2, as well as your recommendation I am going to push it up that 1 1/2" to meet the 8 1/2" landing.

thanks again guys
Ed

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

OK guys as noted previously I mounted the top of the chine at 8 1/2" from the top of the breasthook as calculated via scaled drawing. The transition is pretty smooth now with little to no fairing required. This should put what Tom calls the sweet spot at about 9 1/4" from the breasthook. I think I got it now?

Ed
Attachments
Chine to stem close up.jpg
Side veiw chine stem intersection.jpg
Front view of chine stem intersection.jpg
Last edited by Ed Phillips on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Congrats Ed, looking good. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks Tom, I glued the chines this morning.

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

OK guys believe it or not I have the shear clamps on and am getting ready to do a bunch of fairing. I also made a cradle for it to sit in when it's right side up which I used to fit the shear clamps with because I was getting tired of crawling around on the floor. So I am getting ready to order my plywood which has brought up a couple of questions.
My Pee Wee calls for 3/16 or 1/4 on everything except the deck. I can get 1/4" but 3/16" appears to be somewhat elusive.
Is the 3/16" for the deck for reduced weight?
Is it for easier forming around the bends and bows?
Is there any reason why I wouldn't just use 1/4" on the deck?
After hours of reading both in this forum and others I have discarded the Mendards 1/4" plywood due to it's being structure plywood and not planking. I have however found another supplied that offers marine plywood in Okoume 1088, 5 ply $95.00 a sheet, Sapele A4 1 ribbon $74.00 a sheet, and Hydrotek 1088, 5 ply $57.00 (Red Meranti).
From what i have read the Hydrotek is heavier which I like because I like heavier boats, supposedly tougher in abrasive conditions, but I also read the Meranti splinters at the cut line but I would expect that has something to do with the coarseness of the cutting blade. I think I can get around that with a fine blade. Sapele from what I have read gives you a good cut but it doesn't carry the 1088 spec. Okoume obviously top of the line.
So if I go with the Hydrotek for the weight and advertised tougher exterior am I giving up bending or forming capabilities over the Okoume?
Should I just jump to the Okoume at twice the cost for this little boat?
Attachments
Remi boat right side up with 2 X 4 in center.jpg
Shear clamp boards installed.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

1/4" will be fine for everything. I doubt you'll find 3/16". As far as the type, yes okoume is nicer to work with but I do think the Meranti looks nicer. Weight difference won't be a lot on a boat that size.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB »

Okoume is more flexible than Meranti and I can't cut Maranti with it splintering so I would go with Okoume. Tom

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks Matt I will order all 1/4" and yes I agree the Meranti I seen in pictures did look real nice but given my grandson really likes blue I am pretty sure it's going to be painted anyway.
Thanks Tom with both you and Matt stating the Okoume is easier to work with I think I will go that route it's only 3 sheet for this little boat anyway.

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Well the fairing is going pretty well especially considering this was a new word for me a couple months ago. So thinking ahead again as usual I have a couple questions. My instruction sheet calls out for the screws to be installed along the chine, shear, transom, stem, and battens.
No where does it state to install screws in the # 1 or #2 frame. So do I assume the attachment in these areas is bonding via the epoxy only?
BOM calls out for flat head screws which obviously have a countersunk design but I see nowhere to countersink the screw holes before installation. So do I countersink before installation or not because it's only 1/4" plywood and let them seat themselves?
Fiberglass or not is an option and not that I am against it but functionally is it for abrasion resistance? increased structural support like rebar in concrete?
Non fiberglassed areas calls out for resin type sealer followed by paint or marine varnish. So if I opt to skip the fiberglass is "resin type sealer" a thin form of paintable epoxy?

thanks
Ed
Attachments
Fairing Remi's boat 2.jpg
Remi's boat on workmate (2).jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ed

I regard to your message, I see your post here.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

OK Ed,

I will render an opinion...

I used enough screws to hold the plywood bonded everything with epoxy. I put packing tape on one side of washers to keep the screws from countersinking. After the epoxy cured I removed the screws, drilled countersinks and reset the screws without washer.

I suspect the reason for not screwing along frames would be to avoid a perforation line perpendicular to the bend of the plywood, therefore, epoxy only.

The fiberglass adds very little structurally. Its value, to me, is in abrasion and punching resistance. Imagine dragging the boat up on a rocky beach and then stepping into the hull.

Most of us, not all, apply two or three coats of epoxy to seal/encapsulate the wood and then paint or varnish.

Tom

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks Tom that helps a lot. Makes sense not to weaken the stress point on the plywood by drilling holes in it and I should have thought of that, thanks for the explanation. I also like the idea of spreading the pressure outward via washers and countersink afterwards. OK but as usual I have more questions.
When you say you use enough screws to hold the plywood does that mean you don't put in all that is recommended in the design during this phase?
Once the epoxy is cured and you remove the washers and reinstall the screws do you install the quantity recommended and spaced as outlined like every 2" 3" and 4" ?
It sounds like adding the fiberglass is a good option. Just so I understand:
If I don't fiberglass do I used the epoxy glue I have for gluing joints to seal/encapsulate the wood?
If I do fiberglass does the glue that comes with the kit provide the sealing/encapsulating?

thanks again Tom
Ed

TomB

Post by TomB »

I marked where the screws would go and did a dry fit. I worked with screws and clamps to get a close fit, every mark got a screw in areas with a lot of bend, every other in the flat areas and clamps where I could because that's easier.

I don't know about kits. Suggest calling Gayle.

Tom

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks again Tom, I understand your procedure now and it make sense.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”