Introduction

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

SteveG

Introduction

Post by SteveG »

Hi all. My name is Steve and I am from Stillwater, Minnesota. I have built two boats previously, a Bill Garden designed Tomcat gaff-rigged sailboat (strip planked) and a St Lawrence River Skiff for oars (glued lapstrake). I'm starting to think about what to build next and I've been looking at both the Malahini and the Ski King as possibilities. I prefer the size and styling of the Ski King but the outboard engine and higher seating of the Malahini. Ah, compromises... Has anyone ever considered modifying the Ski King design to take an outboard? Besides beefing up the transom, installing a splash well and moving the rear cockpit forward, I imagine the weight distribution would need careful evaluation. Any naval architects out there? Anyway, I'm glad to be on the forum and look forward to (virtually) meeting some of you.

Roberta

Re: Introduction

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard! Take a look at the Ski Tow. Similar size and style and is outboard.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Roberta,
Yes, since my post I have 'discovered' the Ski Tow. It looks like what I'm after.
Steve

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Great! Good time to jump in.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Welcome to the Glen L forum, great bunch of boat builders here. I like your Ski Tow choice, if you want an outboard then start with outboard plans. The Ski Tow has 7” more beam than the Ski King, that’s a lot of extra room!
Are you limited on build space or just prefer a 15 ft boat? If you have the space I would suggest building as much boat as the plans allow. You are likely aware, the Ski Tow and Malahini are the same boat. I see so many beautiful versions of this hull, it can’t compete with a Tahoe or Barrelback in a beauty contest but a very versatile boat non the less. The runabout sweet spot on size.
Looking forward to your progress. I enjoy following other boats being built.
Matt Biehunko

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”