Indiana New Member (long time lurker)

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Indiana_Ray

Indiana New Member (long time lurker)

Post by Indiana_Ray »

Hi all, I'm Ray from Central Indiana. Long time lurker here, grew up around boating. Our extended family had Dorsetts, CeeBee Avengers, Sidewinders (the low deck ones with no windshield) Tahitis, Starcrafts, Sangers and Wriedt boats. I've personally owned an 18' CeeBee Avenger with twin 125hp Merc Tower of Power outboards hanging on the back, a Sanger Super Tiger jet drive, a Biesemeyer V-drive and a short deck Brummett Mandella V-drive. Yeah, a bit of boating, fishing and skiing. I currently co-own with my oldest daughter a 15' Hydro Swift Wildcat with a 65hp black band Merc on it that needs the typical Merc repairs. I'm also the mechanic for her 24' Manitou Aurora 'toon that has a 140hp Yamaha on it.

I really want to get into building a boat since I was a kid and raced glo-plug engined RC boats, mostly the Dumas brand ones. My dad and uncle built a boat, might have been a Zip that was owned by at least four members of the family at one time or another. It was re-fiberglassed twice in my parent's back yard. Neighbors didn't like that, got fiberglass dust in their clothes on the clothes lines.

(Geez, getting kinda wordy here)

Anyway, my dilemma is work space to build in. I have one bay of our garage that I can work in, about 18' long by 10' wide, more or less. I will have to work inside, since Central Indiana has rain in the summer and snow in the winter. Add to that hail, sleet, the occasional inland monsoon, gotta stay indoors. I won't be doing much in the winter (no heat) and the summer (too much heat) so I have about 4-5 months a year to putz around on building a boat without burning up or freezing to death.

So, my questions for all y'all - I have thought about building the Rampage shortened to 16' as a jet drive. I would probably use a small block v8 and a Berkeley pump for power to keep weight down in the stern of the boat. I would like to build one as a v-drive but after a few friends had theirs sunk by the wife/girlfriend/uneducated family member trying to reverse in a hurry, that's off the table. Nice aluminum engine mount and exhaust hardware are still available for the commonplace small block Chebby, so that might be the choice. I had entertained building the 14' Power Cat but finding 2 Mercs in good shape to power it might break the bank. those things have increased in value over the years.

As a 16' build, that would put the stem at the garage door, so I would open it up to work. Any one see an issue with that? Also, no building until I pour a slab on that side of the garage. Currently I have a wood(!) floor that needs replacing.

I also appreciate any other comments about this idea that might lead to a successful build. BTW, I'm retired, so every day is Saturday.

Thanks all for reading this long diatribe.

Ray
Ray Stankewitz
"Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"
"Glue! I need glue!"

Roberta

Re: Indiana New Member (long time lurker)

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard and good luck with your new project.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Ray, many builders have had to deal with small spaces and turned out some beautiful boats ( Carl's Vera Cruise for one). It presents some challenges, but is doable. I have been working in an unheated garage and now an unheated tent. It does slow you down some. Maybe there is a space inside that you can do some work in. I have been using the kids (now grown) play room for encapsulation and gluing smaller parts in the winter when it was too cold in garage to do that. Good luck with your build, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Welcome fellow Hoosier! 16ft would be the most I would advise to build in an 18ft garage. Youll have to take up some extra space with the garage open when installing the chine and sheer but otherwise shouldnt be too much issue. I built a Zip using only half a 19x19 garage.

What water would you be using it on? Prairie Creek?

Indiana_Ray

Post by Indiana_Ray »

vupilot wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:56 pm
Welcome fellow Hoosier! 16ft would be the most I would advise to build in an 18ft garage. Youll have to take up some extra space with the garage open when installing the chine and sheer but otherwise shouldnt be too much issue. I built a Zip using only half a 19x19 garage.

What water would you be using it on? Prairie Creek?
Actually, we boat on Mississinewa with the daughter's tri-toon. We have taken 'The Small Boat' as we call it, a 14.5' Hydro Swift to Prairie Creek. Water was rough that day, damned near didn't get the boat back on the trailer due to waves/current trying to shove us sideways. We also tried Pirate's Cove at Salamonie in the little boat, that was horrible out in the main channel and at times we had water coming over the bow! We usually have a slip at Red Bridge marina for the summer but I won't keep a performance boat in that water. The 'toon just came out last Sunday and needed three hours of pressure washing to get the algae off the bottom. Probably lost 5 mph off the top end from that summer buildup.

Actually, it's looking more like a Rampage shortened to 16' 3" OAL is going to be the ticket. Been thinking about a Ford 400 for power. I know it's an odd bird but the Aussies make marine parts for Cleveland-style powerplants. Current hunt is for a jet pump, either Berkeley or American turbine. There is a boat here locally (16' Wriedt Stinger) that might provide controls, steering and a Road Runner trailer. Hull is too far gone to repair, been left outside on milk crates for umpteen years in the Indiana elements with three engine blocks inside. The trailer itself was fully restored a year ago but the guy realized upon close scrutiny the hull was toast, bad transom, punky stringers and warped bottom. It was originally powered by an AMC 360 and Panther Jet. Having owned a boat with a Panther, I'll probably put it up for sale along with the AMC marine hardware.
Ray Stankewitz
"Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"
"Glue! I need glue!"

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Building form with heavy duty casters will allow you to move the boat out of the tight quarters on nice weather days. Don’t go cheap on casters, the boat gets heavy. 16ft is about the limit for a comfortable build in an 18’ space.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

We like to boat at Mississinewa as well. It's the best option in the area (not saying a whole lot). Hoping to get a couple of fishing trips in this fall before they let the water out. Wave if you see us.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”