Hi All Just Joined Glen L as a prospective builder...

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: Hi All Just Joined Glen L as a prospective builder...

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 am

Nope,not wrong.

But it's also OK to change the name when the boat tells you what it's name is later!!
Warren,

Are you calling Lauren a BOAT?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 am

Well she is a dream boat isn't she? :D

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 am

Well then I will name her after the love of my life (36yrs this year) for putting up with me....So the name will be SHE'Z AMAZ'N
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:26 am

Hi VettePilot.

There are a number of sites you should scan (if you haven't already found them)

The first few that come to mind are:

http://www.bronkalla.com is 'an oldie, but a goodie'

Dave Lott's riviera build is well documented. (follow the link in his signature line)

My Monaco build is also out there (follow link in my sig line). (the Monaco is just a shorter version of the Riv... Or should I say that the Riv is just a stretched version of the Monaco???)

There are many more.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 am

Yes Bruce I have your site bookmarked for all the great info in it....Hope I can do as good as job as you!!! :P
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 am

Bruce,I like your new avatar

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 am

Yeah that actually reminds me of Oyster! lol

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:00 am

vettepilot wrote:Thinking of building a Riviera...As a all round cruise, skiing, fishing, family boat...am I on the right track? We have a lot of Dams and Rivers we can boat in here in Australia.....Cheers Dave :D

Welcome. Been on the road a little so slow to respond.

I will have to refrain myself for I am a little bit biased. If you get my meaning. :lol:

Great cruise, ski and family boat but for fishing - there are better options.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi Vettepilot,

i am a fellow Queenslander just starting to build the 23ft Belle Isle. i have also had to wait for my shed which i now have up and ready to build!
I have been reseaching for quite a while now and have asked a few questions on the forum (World of knowledge in this forum and should be all put in a book).
Only advice that i would have is to start reading each and every single post on this forum, alot of reading but well worth it!

What part of Queensland are you in? I live around the Mackay and Whitsunday region.

happy building!

Jamie

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm

[/quote]Great cruise, ski and family boat but for fishing - there are better options.[/quote] Very Nice Boat :mrgreen: Dave..... Yes fishing would be a bit tight in a Riviera, but I only want to drop a line if we find somewhere relaxing to moor while family swims,tubes or skis....if I catch fish well that's a bonus..... :D

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi Jamie I am currently at Gladstone...but moving to Childers once shed and house are erected....but I work west of Mackay

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:16 pm

Vette,

Gladstone is my Hometown! You will be the closest builder to where i live in Sarina.
The riviera was my first choice of boat until i discovered the Barrelbacks and seeing as though i wanted max seating capacity the Belle Isle it was.
It was only in october last year in Sydney that i got to see my first timber boat in person which blew me away at the sight of it.
It was Tim Majors Monaco which was just before the flip and i was amazed at the size of these boats. They look alot bigger i person than in the pictures.

Jamie

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Jamie....since I was a young lad skiing behind a timber boat called G-Whizz (Bert Jones) I have longed to own one...figured only way was to build my own...yes they are big...my shed will be 9mtrs wide just to accommodate the build lol.....I am hoping it will be able to take Chevy Big Block Supercharged 454cu....if not I will go the 350cu

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 pm

For all the activities you want to do,you might consider building the Riviera as a utility....that way you have more room for water-sports,fishing,etc.

Dave Lott used a F.I. small block Chevy in his and says it's way more than enough

Dave Lott will vouch on both counts I believe

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Is there any photo's of Riviera utility?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”