Hello from AZ.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

TUGMYWAY

Hello from AZ.

Post by TUGMYWAY »

I am new here and would like to say hello.
I am thinking about building a "TUG"
Have looked a the Tug Along 16' and 18'.Also have been working on something my self.Here is a look at the idea. She is a 16 to 18' by 8'. Have been thinking maybe I should get the Glenn L Tug Along and just mod it? Maybe adding about 3" to the center?
So, how about some input? Thanks again,Randy

areame

Re: Hello from AZ.

Post by areame »

Welcome to the forum TUGMYWAY. Unless you have any marine architecture skills or have done something like this before I would recommend getting the plans and then modifying it. A lot of people here have done modifications to the plans and this way it would take some of the guess work out of it. Good luck.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks!
Ordered two plans the Sweet 16 and Titan 21.The flat bottom was what I was having a problem with.This set of plans will help.Has anyone tryed C-Flex in building a Glenn L?
Look forward to the input! Randy

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Welcome aboard Randy,

When I saw your handle I knew I would like where this was going. Keep us posted on what you decide to build and don't forget the pictures. Nice drawings btw. :D
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman »

Randy,
Welcome to the forum. It's always great to see another tugboat project take shape! :)

I'd like to offer a word of caution about modifying the Tug Along plans. The Tug Along is a "stitch and glue" design, which are usually very hard for the average person to modify without adversely affecting the outcome. It is not as simple as adding a few inches to one dimension, because each change in a panel requires changes in the mating panels, which more often than not will mess up the looks and/or performance of the boat.

Unlike the stitch and glue models, most of the conventionally framed Glen-L designs can be modified slightly for length by respacing the frames an equal amount, which is not complicated. You can find instructions for this in books that Glen-L sells, and (if my memory is correct) in the archives of old Glen-L newsletters on the website.

I stretched the length of my Bo-Jest by 25" by adding 5" to each frame space from the transom to the last frame, leaving the space from the last frame to the stem unaltered. I modified the cabin length and layout, which is fairly common.

Glen-L does not usually recommend modifying the beam, as this can completely change the characteristics of the boat.

Good luck with whichever model you decide on, and be sure and keep us up to date with lots of pictures when you get started.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Tom, thanks for the input! Bo-Jest looks very GOOD! How is it in rough water? Say 2' to 3' waves? Wind? Other boats wakes? I am thinking about doing the "Great LOOP" with some trailering.I am leaning to the "Titan" out at about 23'.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

The 16' will be for around here with the grand girl! She is 4+ going on 18. :roll:

slug

Post by slug »

Welcome Tugmyway; I am building the Titan stretched version in ply. Don't see why c-flex wouldn't work. At 21'6", this is a surprisingly roomy boat inside. When I flipped the hull over, I was amazed at the size. By doing some slight shifting on the cabin , I've been able to make room for a full head (albeit a little cramped :) ) and a small hanging locker.
Right now I'm on hold while I finish building our new house. Just got the shop up and drywalled last week and the hull is in storage till next month, then its full steam ahead.
You can see my posts under "Progress on the Titan" in the Hankinson section of the forum.
Doug

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

:lol: Thanks Doug. Good points on holding the length.
Was from Port Huron,MI,when you get back on it the ICE will have melted! LOL

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman »

Randy,
My Bo-Jest handles 2-3' waves safely, but not comfortably. I don't know of a 20' boat that is comfortable in those conditions (at least not for us OLD GUYS :lol: )

We've put over 1000 miles on the boat so far, mostly in the rivers, but a couple of hundred miles was in Mobile Bay and the ICW in Alabama and Florida. Wake from other boats was never a problem as long as we turned and met the wake head on.

Almost all of our travels have been with me, the wife, one grandchild, and a small dog. Our longest cruise so far was 7 days, and although the space is tight, we were comfortable. I'm working now to put some storage space in the boat to help corral the junk that seems to accumulate on a long trip (binoculars, log book, cell phones, PFDs, etc.).

I understand that a couple of guys did the great loop on jet skis once, so doing it in a 20' boat would probably be possible, but I would think you'd have to really be flexible on your schedule and let the weather dictate your travel much more than if you were in a bigger boat.

Whatever you decide, you'll make some great memories with your grand child. We've had all 5 of ours on the boat, and they love it!
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Welcome Tug

While I cannot say that I am a member of the tug fraternity YET> Just wait, give me a grandchild and I will be looking at what you have others have done.

So keep the information coming

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”