Hello from Melbourne, sunny Australia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Dave Fisher

Hello from Melbourne, sunny Australia

Post by Dave Fisher » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi All,
I am a new member to the forum, from Melbourne Australia. I am a pure novice when it comes to boat building but, I am liking the idea of being able to build the Zip model. Being in Oz, I am wondering about the material lists for the boats and also the unit conversions, and if the Zip would be a good choice for myself. I will keep reading the posts and hope to bump into a few of you along the way,
cheers :mrgreen:
(I'm also a virgin blogger, so if I have stuffed anything up on the post.... thats why!)

mjggjm12

Re: Hello from Melbourne, sunny Australia

Post by mjggjm12 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 am

Welcome Dave, There have been a lot of Zips built you should be able to get plenty of good advice on the forum.
Currently restoring a FB boat
Have plans for 15 1/2' power/row skiff

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:09 am

Hello Dave

Welcome to the world of novice boat builders, we were all there once. For myself, that was only Two years ago.

As far as I'm aware there are no Zip builds in Melbourne. There are however builders of the Amigo, Barrelback 19, Belle Isle, Bonanza, Mai Tai, Missile x 2, Ski King and a Whitehall.

When you decide on your build PM me your contact details and I will add you to our Aussie & NZ Glen-L builders list. This Forum is an invaluable means of gathering information and advice on your boat build. Also check out the Customer Photos page relating to the boat you plan to build, it's a classic example of a pictures being certainly worth a thousand words.

All the best with your build.

Tim Major

Dave Fisher

Post by Dave Fisher » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys,

you're 100% about the value of this forum Tim, I'm now leaning more towards the Celerity for it's hull depth and engine capacity range. I will definately make contact once I commit to a set of plans and have read all supporting info and checked out those photos,

cheers,
Dave

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Welcome Dave.
Metric conversion can be interesting. I used 6mm plywood for 1/4", which makes for a slightly lighter boat but given the solid nature of the Glen-L designs the minimal thickness difference is of no consequence. You can get 6.5mm I think from boatcraft but it is expensive stuff. The other dimension that can be important it 2400 as opposed to 8 feet. Just check the design to see if they expect a full 8 foot sheet.
Hope you get undert way soon, it really is rewarding.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 am

Welcome Dave. There is a Malahini up in Brisbane which was built by a fellow named Alan Bates. The Malahini is basically a larger version of the Zip. I know Brisbane is about 1700k away from you, but the fellow is really accessible and I had several conversations with him. Here is his site:
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblette ... bates.html
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

XSiV

Post by XSiV » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:51 am

G'day Dave,

I'm in Melbourne too, I'm in the northern suburbs, where are you?

I recently received my plans for the Jacknife which is basically the Celerity with a half cabin on it. Thought the half cabin might come in handy if the weather turns foul on the bay as is often the case with Melbourne weather.

I am yet to make a start as I have a few work projects I have to finalise before I can get to the boat.

Cheers

Josh

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”